Enriching the map pool

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.

do you like the new rotation/map changes?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:30

yes, I think that they add to the game, keep it up.
94%
no, I think they ruin the game, please revert them asap.
6%

Total votes: 16

adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Enriching the map pool

Post by adminless »

well overkill was loaded at the main server prime time as testing a couple of years ago and it immediately trashed it till the point it had to be forcefully removed the day after (Tuesday 20 of March of 2018) and the japanese castles was the usual map that loaded once the server got into the 30+ players range (i.e. 15vs15 minimum) for example. so all that isn't even true/applies at least within the context of top popular public servers which is what we talking about here not about elitist private matches. anyways since the ctf thing looks like it finally gained some traction I finally decided to give a try to some small ctf event here and we'll see what happens. so those around here interested on that feel free to join there.
kf
Unleveled User

Post by kf »

well, what i specially meant in that case was overkill in clan arena mode (no items, 200/100 stack, all weapons and like 5 sec timer before round starts to have time to get to meetpoint... classic rocket arena setup) that overkill doesnt work that good in unfreeze mode doesnt surprise me, cause you win the rounds at upper 3rd and 2nd, thats why you have to get there every round normally. and because of the unfreeze setup you just let yourself get fragged by that rail angles from hallway and let your mates thaw you again. thats why it just gets very boring at some point because if you are the team which is attacking upper or reaching it later, you will get crushed. :)

wcp1 is a pure ctf map, it doesnt work good at unfreeze, same as ra3map11.

those maps were designed for those modes and thats where they just work best. i mean you just could give it a try and add those maps to your rotation and remove those space ctf maps (if it isnt that hard to change, i dunno about that)

thanks anyways to respond that quick everytime :D
Prepare for fake .WTF!
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

I still run one such truly Rocket Arena 3 based server with those same exact ra3maps just under quakelive (which is what succeeded ra3 like 15 years ago) and it's pretty much totally death. so once again outside of the inner circle of the most elitist among the most elitist players (i.e. <0.1%) when it comes to top popular public servers the discussion about Rocket Arena 3 like 15+ years after it was completely phased out is pretty much pointless. I think that when it comes to top popular public servers it has been more than proven across the site over the years what works and what doesn't and that's the UnFreeZe setup not any sort divine setup.

as for the ctf server as I said if it were to have a population of let's say 50+ regular known players and get consistently busy on a regular basis given the circumstances of need for more slots and similar I could consider dropping some of that stuff there. unfortunately that's simply not the case so there's no much in point in arguing that either when it just gets played sparsely at best. anyways as I just said in the mean time if you want to play some custom ctf maps and in a more organized way than the public setting you can probably sign up for the small summer ctf event I just started today.
kf
Unleveled User

Post by kf »

the thing is that i dont see any of common ctf maps there. i spend some time at youtube to figure out (and get remembered) which maps were played the most in ctf.
those maps are:

q3wcp1 q3wcp5 q3wcp9 q3wcp14 q3wcp15 q3wcp18 q3wcp22 q3w2 q3w3 q3ctf2

they were set at most common mappools (leagues, pickups etc.)

as said before, ctf only works with such a little bit of teamplay and organization. if you just play ctf like public it will end in pure chaos and chase. trust me, this isnt fun to watch and its also not fun to play. :D
Prepare for fake .WTF!
Karen
User lv3
User lv3

Post by Karen »

Hello...

First post and already complaining to the manager... LOL

I really like the enriched map pool... sorry that I am too late to the party to vote... but it would definitely be a YES from me.

However, there are two things I can't hold back mentioning...

1 - Q3DM15 map is really great. There just is this "Lava Hole" where campers have seen hiding making a fast-paced game stall until the next round. Although campers can be hit by rockets carefully aimed at a certain angle, it is quite annoying. It somehow reminds me of Deva hideout opposite to teleport. So, is it possible to close the "Lava Hole" by a patch? Or maybe to place some item there, e.g. Red Amor, to make this place more interesting to all players, not just the campers? I don't know if Red Armor makes sense if one has to walk through lava before and afterwards though...

2 - Enhanced map selection on Glacius is great as well. One point I want to mention though is that 24/7 availability kind of kills the special Glacius character... if it is available around the clock, it is harder to gather a noteworthy number of people at one point in time for special Glacius event. I would like to suggest to consider maybe putting Glacius back onto that special rhythm again when more people around during winter. I know that this point of mine is very debatable... And I definitely am not too objective here as I love the Glacius very much.

Karen
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

I think that probably I could patch that spot somehow at some point but not right now on this message as we speak so I'll consider it later on, thanks for the input. as for glacius, it doesn't matter how you look at it, absolutely everything was tried already and nothing was working at all there anyways so I think the most solid option at the moment is just to run there the competitive mixed rotation of the events 24/7 and let it be (which by the way is a variation from the classic glacius setup).
FilthyPirate
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: FilthyPirate

Post by FilthyPirate »

FYI... on DM15 we can splash rocket damage in the "lava door camp" from the platform. Only buffoons camp there and they learn quickly not to do it again. I don't think a map patch is needed at this time.
Any chance of doing a 3wave day on the CTF server? A nice test to see if the basic maps are getting old.
Would be a refreshing change! Thanks Adminless.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

FilthyPirate wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:46 FYI... on DM15 we can splash rocket damage in the "lava door camp" from the platform. Only buffoons camp there and they learn quickly not to do it again. I don't think a map patch is needed at this time.
Any chance of doing a 3wave day on the CTF server? A nice test to see if the basic maps are getting old.
Would be a refreshing change! Thanks Adminless.
Arrrrrrrr if only my noob arrrrs could understand what you lot always talk about

So what you mean? Camp in door way to underground passage? Fire rocket into lava and gives direct damage into entrance?
Karen
User lv3
User lv3

Post by Karen »

Just for clarification, I think we are talking about this...
dm15rox.jpg
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

I know don't worry this weekend I've been afk/busy hopefully next week I can probably give that patch a try. yes although it's not a critical thing as others said it probably doesn't really add anything to the game and it takes more than it gives. as for the ctf server people requested some changes following the ctf event and it looks like it improved its popularity, unfortunately none of those changes go in the direction of adding threewave maps yet (just remove some bots and add q3ctf3 so far).
telum
User lv1
User lv1

Post by telum »

I remember OSPDM5 being nice for TDM 4on4, maybe it would work for unfreeze as well. Also liked CPM4 back in the day.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

yeah custom maps there has been literally like a ton of them over the years. a selection of probably the best of them along with the best originals currently runs 24/7 on the third UnFreeZe server (glacius same ips port 27963) so I suggest you to look more there if you're interested on that. I believe that's probably your best option so far. in any case, please be welcome to the forum.
telum
User lv1
User lv1

Post by telum »

thanks! And thanks for the servers, really gratefull that this community exists for old farts like myself :D

I was a bit unsure if this was a "propose some new maps too the map pool" thread or not :) Don't think I ever tried the secret third server, will give it a go!
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok I finally patched today that bfg ammo secret spot on q3dm15 so starting tomorrow you'll can not longer camp there, the map will just hurt you as if you were on the lava. basically unless it broke or something (in such case just let me know) I assume that then that should fix that exploit. it took some time since I got dragged as well paying some attention to the rest of the servers (ex. ctf/ffa etc) as well as the finances and those other kind of important things around too (ex. backups/monitoring/maintenance etc).
Karen
User lv3
User lv3

Post by Karen »

Adminless, thank you so much!
cake.gif