Enriching the map pool

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.

do you like the new rotation/map changes?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:30

yes, I think that they add to the game, keep it up.
94%
no, I think they ruin the game, please revert them asap.
6%

Total votes: 16

adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Enriching the map pool

Post by adminless »

ok, I just fixed the map repetition issue and the dm15 bug yesterday night. I mean, hopefully today everything should be good with the changes so please let me know if it doesn't.

@imprecise the only purpose of the secondary server is precisely that to serve as a backup/extension to the main one not to be something else. as said, those (custom) maps or other ones as well as some changes could be considered for the third/fourth servers (glacius/baltic) not for the main ones, only that with 40+ custom top tier original maps there already that never get played dropping yet even more maps, especially non original remix maps of well known maps, don't really add anything. I repeat, if some servers (1/2) are full/busy 24/7 while the others (3/4) are pretty much empty 24/7 that should tell you something and that there's clearly a reason for it. so if you, or somebody else, want to play some other custom maps all that you need to do is just type a 3 instead of a 2 or a 1 when connecting here which is the sole reason why I made glacius 24/7 now. UnFreeZe1/2 are the way they work and they will remain like that and beside the usual maintenance/revisions like these ones I won't change them to something else especially to stuff proven for a fact to ruin things for more than 10 years already. once again as said, all that is probably left to do here once the changes consolidate on UnFreeZe1 is to apply them on UnFreeZe2 as well. that's all that will be done with UnFreeZe2, not anything else.
YORELito
User lv3
User lv3
in-game nick: cacahuete

Post by YORELito »

love the new maps!, except q3dm10 which I think its pretty boring.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

yes, it seems so. it looks like the poll clearly passed (for other than just one troll vote even unanimously) and I think that the new rotation has been working good so I guess that finally I'll sync those changes at the second server today probably. I know, q3dm10 is just ok map not a fav one, that one used to run here and that's why it got removed but as said since people is clearly requesting more maps I think that nevertheless is better to have it and be able to play something else (still playable/fun even if not a "fav") than not.
oKo*Magister
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: oKo*Magister

Post by oKo*Magister »

q3dm10 is really fun to play. It was being played very rare (at least when I was on the server). Was it really necessary to delete it? :(
It's all in the spirit of Aimbot. *Mankubus voice*
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

oKo*Magister wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:28 q3dm10 is really fun to play. It was being played very rare (at least when I was on the server). Was it really necessary to delete it? :(
He didn't delete?
oKo*Magister
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: oKo*Magister

Post by oKo*Magister »

Ok, I'm blind sry
It's all in the spirit of Aimbot. *Mankubus voice*
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

as I said I think that nevertheless is better to have it and be able to play something else (still playable/fun even if not a "fav") than not. so no I didn't delete it, in fact, I actually added it now to the secondary server as well.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok, as I've seen that the changes here have been mostly unanimously well received and surprisingly this time there haven't been any further endless waves of custom maps senseless requests (may be in part because original glacius ran 24/7 for months already just to get 27 players a month and a very few spare games) as a finishing touch I changed as well today glacius (UnFreeZe3) rotation to run the "competitive" rotation (see, that's it, a popular mix of the top custom maps and standard ones which was as well requested and I believe that is probably all that is left to try on that server) 24/7 instead of the hardcore custom maps only one and then we'll see how that does too.
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Post by fernandinho1337 »

I actually like dm10 and dm15. This space maps feels like crap to me

Best regards
kf
Unleveled User

Post by kf »

could it be possible to change maps at ctf server too? could be more fun to play at least the balanced or lets say useful ctf maps with Powerups.

examples:
q3wcp9 spider crossings
q3wcp1 Japanese Castles
q3wcp5 Shining Forces
q3w2
etc. :O
Prepare for fake .WTF!
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

I don't think so, if I don't recall wrong most of those wtf pack maps are like for 20vs20 minimum (i.e. ultra extra mega large, not suitable for the kind of casual games that happen at the ctf server at best) beside just as with glacius, custom maps are not a option to improve a public server, if not probably the contrary (again just see glacius). overall, that's the best that server can do and probably for other than a few adjustments here and there (basically finish the autobalance there that never got to roll out and a few other things), there's no much else left to do with it. it's probably more useful to focus on other things.
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Post by fernandinho1337 »

hey adminless

would you be willing to ask the community if there is interest in a ctf event? maybe we could get some attention to the server then

best regards
FilthyPirate
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: FilthyPirate

Post by FilthyPirate »

Jap castles is a cool map, wxs1 is a good small map, rail only with boost is fun. Also hockey is a fun one.
Also A CTF event would be a good idea. I did not know till today there was a classico ctf server, silly me I guess.
But I also did not know that the classico community actually plays CTF. The CTF server was full today. Was cool.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

well, I guess that if people is interested they can bringing it here or along the site. however I believe that so far very little people, if anybody else, have requested it and given the real popularity of the server (under normal circumstances) I don't see it happening. beside just as kf noted straight away you would run into a very limited map pool which probably is not even well suited for "competitive" play outside may be some casual/fun community alike event. as said, I believe there's probably better options and things to do, for example the ffa setup, looks like a much better option/alternative to the classic offerings to me.
kf
Unleveled User

Post by kf »

well the problem is, that the fun of those team modes stands and falls with the maps you have to play! i bet if you would setup a server with maps from ra3 (overkill for example) you would have a full server too. for sure.
yes, the players are a big indicator too. for example if you need to play the space map where you can rail from your flag till the enemys flag, you will always have those players which will just stand at rail and spawnrail enemys, even if you are trying to mg them down, the range is too high, that your mg will spray too much and you will need 2 deaths even if enemy is that stupid to not get health. this means waste of time and will cause players to leave the server. traditionally theres also no need to start a 10 vs 10 in ctf, because this will only be chaotic tdm and would have nothing to do with ctf in its form. 12 slots would be enough for sure.
Prepare for fake .WTF!