1v1 server question

Quake III Arena classic game servers forum.
RH
User lv4
User lv4

Re: 1v1 server question

Post by RH »

adminless wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 17:41 I repeat, I can tell you for a fact the ffa server is indeed unlagged and pretty much I believe everyone around can tell you the same. I double checked it and there's no mistake about it. matter of facts, all the servers around here run some sort of lag compensation or another except for the classic masters one among other things for the reasons I already wrote here. it looks to me like probably your client is totally broken beyond belief or just simply incompatible here so please try again with one of the provided clients (ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v21.7.zip or fpsclasico-client-community-edition.zip, 32 or 64 bit) as-is without any other files added or removed from that except for the pak0.pk3 file and let me know if it's still broken for you.
Using that client, which looks to be a weird modified version of ioq3, yeah the ffa server seemed to be unlag. Also noticed it had cg_delag 1 set. Guessing there is just some qvm files included in that package that my normal ioq3 install does not include. The other delag servers I am referring to and have experience on did not require any client modification, so this seems like a less than ideal solution on however it is implemented.

My guess would be the qvm's in zzzz-unfreeze-2005.pk3. It looks like zzz-oamdl-mature.pk3 is in there though which is from open arena and there might be other parts. Open arena has unlag built into baseoa, though aftershock and ratmod improve on it.

I tested by dropping zzzz-unfreeze-2005.pk3 into my normal ioq3 install and yeah it is the qvm's from that pk3, however it did fuck up a bunch of other settings, textures, and sounds. Doesn't make much difference though as I am very uninterested in ffa.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

ok, that's what I was talking about. for the rest I don't know since as you can understand I don't offer support for third party files and/or installations (let alone servers or mods) beyond the provided ones as-is which are tested and known to be fully working here. anyways I was just asking because it wasn't even clear what you meant and to know as well in case at some point there's some interest in that as I could probably just load that server with standard settings for duels. nothing else, so thanks for the feedback.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

btw as I see that you're still around and there seems to be some interest I set up now one such basic masters community edition server featuring unlag (which again it's not osp though it could work with it) at fpsclasico.de:27971 or fpsclasico.eu:27971 with popular settings so please check it out and let me know how that does on your end now. I mean, don't get your hopes too high, I just tested it with the provided clients as usual and for other than just having a blast as a public server I don't see it doing anything else.
RH
User lv4
User lv4

Post by RH »

adminless wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 19:57 btw as I see that you're still around and there seems to be some interest I set up now one such basic masters community edition server featuring unlag (which again it's not osp though it could work with it) at fpsclasico.de:27971 or fpsclasico.eu:27971 with popular settings so please check it out and let me know how that does on your end now. I mean, don't get your hopes too high, I just tested it with the provided clients as usual and for other than just having a blast as a public server I don't see it doing anything else.
I tested the server with cth and magister. I tested with and without the unfreeze pk3 and it seems to be the same, so at least it is better than the ffa server implementation. The unlag isn't as good as the other unlag duel servers. You'd have to play on one of the other servers at a higher ping to see what I mean. Definitely better than baseq3/osp netcode though.

First issue, it had frag limit. Fraglimit is dumb. Duel players do not like fraglimit and I couldn't vote it off, but you were there and used admin powers to remove it so that is good.

Second issue, the items respawn late at match start? The armors all spawn in 1 second late. Mega spawns in a full 10 seconds late. I've never seen this before. This is a major problem for duel.

Third issue, force respawn is set to 20 seconds which isn't great. Not the end of the world, better than off. Would be better to have it set to 5 though.

Fourth issue, even more minor, warmup time is super short. Maybe something more like 90 would be better. It made testing difficult.

One thing that maybe is not an issue, but it runs out of the osp folder despite obviously not being osp. This is just confusing. Maybe this is done to help osp players not have to move pk3 files and stuff.

If the item issue is fixed, I might be able to get used to the weird implementation of unlag and play fine there.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok, I'll look up the items thing later/tomorrow or so. the respawn I just changed it now and 90 secs of warmup is clearly overkill for a public server so that will stay. and yes the osp folder is intentional exactly for the reason you're giving. thank you for the input.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok, I just fixed the initial item spawn thing now check it out and let me know if you still find something else broken. overall I tested it a bit more this morning and I think it turned out decent, although I stand by my initial thoughts, this (just like this without further ruleset changes/adjustments as on unfreeze/cpma/vql etc, just the unlagged thing over vq3) definitively makes a significant difference when it comes to the overall duel strategy/dynamics over the classic well known ones. btw if you're interested later on I think probably some ranked fight on this server as a spin off from the current tournament could be setup. I believe it would be a good test and interesting to see how it plays out.
RH
User lv4
User lv4

Post by RH »

There are more item issues, not sure why. Seems like 2 item boxes didn't even spawn by red on pro dm6, and rail spawned like 4 seconds in on hektik. Probably more I haven't noticed as well.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

post demo or be more specific about what items you're referring because I tested it a couple of times now and as far as I can recall all the items on pro-q3dm6 do spawn (check screens for items around red on server as we speak). as for the rg on hektik_b3 I also tried a couple times now and found no issues either with it spawning on match start. may be it just got picked by your opponent first and there went the 5 secs diff (matter of facts as I review the logs now if you're referring to your duel with kf I can tell you for a fact he obviously picked rg 1.6 seconds in).
Attachments
shot0003.jpg
shot0002.jpg
shot0001.jpg
shot0000.jpg