Glacius evenings - New Start

fpsclassico community based events and fights.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Glacius evenings - New Start

Post by adminless »

ok, I have some hot news here so in addition to the current scheduled meetings here that will remain I also announce that today I deployed a new server (baltic.unfreeze.xyz) that will run glacius 24/7 at least by now (and/or as long as it runs, as usual we'll see). you can probably read more on the main news thread here, enjoy.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

btw as I've seen that after/during the league (where custom maps where finally really played) glacius finally gained some momentum in favor of spacius, I announce now in light of that that I've decided so far to change the schedule and run glacius daily from 20:00 CEST to 1:00 CEST until it "makes sense" (i.e. works out).
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

adminless wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 22:48 btw as I've seen that after/during the league (where custom maps where finally really played) glacius finally gained some momentum in favor of spacius, I announce now in light of that that I've decided so far to change the schedule and run glacius daily from 20:00 CEST to 1:00 CEST until it "makes sense" (i.e. works out).
What about additional maps , can it rotate constantly? Allow voting? Bff? 1000grneades ? Make it a bit more crazy ?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

haha don't get so carried away, the bfg and the thousand grenades/crazy mods clearly don't apply but as glacius is gonna run daily now I've been actually working out on a extra bonus mappack for baltic now that will basically become "glacius2" as to have something else more to play at and basically just don't run the same server twice without need. hopefully "glacius2" (the bonus mappack for baltic basically) should be done/up within today/tomorrow or so anyways as usual once finished I'll post it here of course. finally you also have callvote enabled at baltic if you want.
Liza
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Liza »

adminless wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 22:48 btw as I've seen that after/during the league (where custom maps where finally really played) glacius finally gained some momentum in favor of spacius, I announce now in light of that that I've decided so far to change the schedule and run glacius daily from 20:00 CEST to 1:00 CEST until it "makes sense" (i.e. works out).
I feel that it might not work as expected. People connect to glacius when someone is already there. And that usually requires some players to connect to main servers and announce about glacius event. Also people know about Friday/Sunday and plan their time accordingly. If they do not need to plan their time, they might not meet at glacius or not have enough players.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

I know I'm aware of that but I believe is worth the try anyways, at the end of the day if now on the next week/s or so is totally death as usual then I'll just move it back to Fridays/Sundays only schedule or anything else. it's not big deal.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

Liza wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:20
I feel that it might not work as expected. People connect to glacius when someone is already there. And that usually requires some players to connect to main servers and announce about glacius event. Also people know about Friday/Sunday and plan their time accordingly. If they do not need to plan their time, they might not meet at glacius or not have enough players.
Some of us do go other days if it's running
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok, done setting up the new baltic rotation also known as glacius2 and creating/uploading the new baltic_mappack.zip file so check it out and feel free to read more/let me know how it did here. in my opinion it turned out pretty good so I believe that now there shouldn't be any more disputes about the "lack of maps" with these there's now installed at the events server a total of 65 quality maps and that's even without counting the ctf maps as well as the unused but also client installed maps. in my opinion that's more than a reasonable number of maps, I mean, this time I just browsed everything in store from 10+ years worth of running top Quake III Arena servers material and pretty much added anything of worth in the book and probably even more so I think finally this should do it with the maps. additionally from what I saw about the daily glacius schedule change it seems it worked pretty good so far with games (small of course) consistently happening at glacius. I'd said it even beat the spacius projection for a random Monday like this, overall it seems like the way to go to me, as said, at least by now. I believe that after the hype of the league with the custom maps nobody would understand to cut them precisely now so I'll keep them daily at least a few weeks and then I'll evaluate it as usual.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

also report now that following the map changes/additions for this season I dropped now at glacius (the main one not the baltic second one) bal3dm3 (donwload bal3dm3.zip) as a replacement for ts_dm5tmp also at the single player that as I said at the other thread it shouldn't even have ever been there. after review this even more thoroughly I feel like bal3dm3 should be popular enough as to be added to glacius, at least like that, in the context of a tenth eight map. the quality was never really under the question, bal3dm3 should be a near ideal pick for this particular mode, so I think it should be a great addition. as said the map has just been added to glacius the main, actually played, one so make sure to download it asap or from now onward you'll can not play (all the time) at glacius. as usual in addition to the individual map download all the rest of the packages (glacius_mappack.zip, ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.5a.zip, fpsclasico-client-community-edition.zip) and links (files) has been updated so make sure to update your installment accordingly. ok finally with this change I feel like thing should be finished when it comes to the maps/rotations/(UnFreeZe) servers at least for this year probably. have fun and enjoy.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok, so it seems that as expected (probably) the daily glacius schedule failed miserably. to be honest on the current high popularity and competitive context is hard to understand specially when by now (already years of the well known packages being distributed) people (the majority) do have at least those maps installed but anyways it's what it's, at least that should prove for a fact (not in my head) that as of 2021 (not in the past, no, as we speak in the very present) custom maps still don't work. consequently I'll switch back to the previous (similar) glacius schedules, I think that by now I'll start by giving it a try to run glacius the Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays from 20:00 CEST to 00:45 CEST (any date) and spcaius the rest of the time (i.e. Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday prime times when there's usually a lot of off-game/afk main events going). at the time being I don't think spacius is gonna make any huge difference over glacius so I guess I'll start by that and then depending on the circumstances/interest and so may be I give a more time to one or the other. whatever the case is I repeat once again at least the glacius Fridays/Sundays will stick. on the upside with this at least we ruled out for a fact the Saturdays for glacius as it had been suggested (it didn't work out, matter of fact, it was probably the day glacius worked the worst) and I think the extended end time (00:45 CEST) worked better than finishing the schedule early (even on the Sundays) so at least we made up something. finally just as a reminder that I noticed that some missed it please remember that the well known packages have been updated with a new set of custom maps that run on the baltic server (a.k.a. glacius2) and that map bal3dm3 has also been added to glacius (the main one on this thread) so make sure to update your installments as necessary.
Agi
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Agi »

Because I am one of the most devoted Glacius fans, I want to raise a topics.

1. Why I can't easily move frags with shotgun on Glacius?

2. Is it possible to "make" overkill map appear more often?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

1) for no reason, I mean, unless that there's some sort of bug or something that I'm not aware of, there's no other reason why frozen bodies would behave any different on that server than on the rest. overall, frozen bodies physics is known to be "buggy" (i.e. imperfect/tricky) but that's just the way it's so it most likely could be just that. when something like that happens, simply adjust your shots instead of insisting on the same thing when you're not getting any movement. for example if you find a body hard to move with a shotgun fire a rocket at the base and see if you have more luck.

2) yes and no at the same time. yes I could probably modify the rotation somehow to have overkill load more often but, no, I'm probably not gonna do it. as I explained the thing with glacius is almost the opposite with the main servers so I believe that it would be poor for that server now to turn it into some short of main servers spin off and have it load let's say 6++ and overkill like half of the time. the sole reason of existence of glacius is precisely that to have more maps at play than just than "usual" (i.e. top popular/peak) maps and to be honest with you I believe that it success at it besides overkill is not even that good of a map (here). overall I have the feeling that glacius is just as good as it gets the way it's and it's even actually working beyond expectation already with interesting games happening on a regular weekly basis. I don't think now introducing changes on the rotation would do any good if not probably the contrary and likely alienate the people that go there that can have very vest different feelings and go looking for the excitement of the variety and the quality of the assets.
Agi
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Agi »

adminless wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 13:47 1) for no reason, I mean, unless that there's some sort of bug or something that I'm not aware of, there's no other reason why frozen bodies would behave any different on that server than on the rest. overall, frozen bodies physics is known to be "buggy" (i.e. imperfect/tricky) but that's just the way it's so it most likely could be just that. when something like that happens, simply adjust your shots instead of insisting on the same thing when you're not getting any movement. for example if you find a body hard to move with a shotgun fire a rocket at the base and see if you have more luck.
But they really are, I am not overthinking.
Agi
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Agi »

Liza wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 17:01
Liza can you back me up? Did you notice this frozen bodies problem also?
oKo*Magister
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: oKo*Magister

Post by oKo*Magister »

I noticed the problem with bodies too. Totally impossible to push them.
It's all in the spirit of Aimbot. *Mankubus voice*