Ramp jumps

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Ramp jumps

Post by adminless »

RH wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:36 Okay I had to test, not only is double jump bad, its not even client predicted so its poorly implemented and jarring on higher ping.
https://ftp.fpsclasico.de/ioq3v6-unfree ... e-2305.pk3
just as I wrote for the client prediction you obviously needed the UnFreeZe mod (or any other one with support for those physics) that I hadn't time to put together yet. there you have a quick unfreeze pk3 patch for client support for that so download that and feel free to try some jumps or anything at the server and then let me know how that did. I'l package that as usual with everything once is done, so far I believe that should work at least to test that, so those interested can probably give a try to that file as well and let me know if that plays some better. I just tried it now online and it plays just fine for me, obviously the hardcore jumps are a lot harder (if possible at all) than locally, but for the normal stuff it plays just fine and the higher jumps doesn't really get in the way at least to me. I just skip stairs a lot faster, the rest it's that it shouldn't even be different.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

btw as a bonus about this here you have a more realistic demonstration of the feature recorded live at the servers (not locally this time) on a well known standard canonical map.

I don't think there's much need for comment here, very needed, almost essential stuff, that it was notoriously missing for too long here. to be honest I think that even these standard canonical maps play much better than expected with these settings and I don't even observe any issue with the stairs as you can see there as it was brought. I tested dm6 as well and it was the same thing, you just jump the ya from the lower half of the stairs right away and take it. it's just a different timing beside I repeat it doesn't affect normal jumps or pretty much anything else and the possibilities/potential are/is literally unlimited.
Attachments
dm14stairs3.dm_68
(22.22 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
dm14stairs2.dm_68
(19.98 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
dm14stairs1.dm_68
(22.03 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
dm14ra.dm_68
(24.23 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
dm14mh.dm_68
(37.11 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

and just another good one too for reference here while testing also from a standard canonical map (let alone custom maps) and recorded online now.
Attachments
dm13mh2.dm_68
(12.26 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
dm13mh1.dm_68
(11.1 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

and a though one (at least for me) while I'm a it this time on a competitive map. again as on aero you can clearly see how all the geometry is designed to accommodate that movement.
Attachments
phantcombo.dm_68
(46.62 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

adminless wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 16:38 hehe that's a good one rh but that's really just a shortened (elite level btw) variation of the same/known standard one. instead of the usual first jump to gain speed you just use a circle there. you could probably just launch that motion from anywhere on the top (and from any direction) that I assume it should just work all the same. you basically just used the stairs to get there. that has really nothing to do with them or the other jumps that do really make use of them as you can see with a bigger context down bellow now. if you noticed even the stairs length is there to accommodate that movement/jump as well as pretty much the whole part geometry and that's the point. sure they are as well all playable with canon settings but outside of the standard maps the vast majority of custom maps are at least optimized for those kind of physics modifications. as said I assume the possibilities and examples are probably endless, I just brought those as some very notorious ones so hard making custom maps work without custom settings.

as for the standard maps I've been testing them too now and overall they just play the same. it's probably just a matter of habit and get used to other timing as seen on the video. if some stairs before took like 3/4 jumps to get through them now just with 2 or 3 jumps they are done and you can even chain them.

ok, let's see if later I can post here a quick client patch with the updated client settings for you to properly test it. yes, currently it's just a server side setting, the client side prediction is missing. I was going to post all that along with the rest of the patches on some proper full/complete packages as usual but that will probably still take some more time (and testing) so stay tuned.
Dude please if you can on next main release to delay the score board player change at end of game, I know it's of low importance but nice to see scores at end as it sometimes changes so fast we don't know where we finished , noobs need it like me thanks
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

and a t7 basic one too to finish the tier. I don't know how you'll see that but overall I think I tested most maps now (at least the most significant) and I didn't really find any such mayor issues, in fact, I find the feature very much needed.
Attachments
t7basic.dm_68
(23.73 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
RH
User lv4
User lv4

Post by RH »

All the videos posted about opening up drastically different routes are not a positive to me. Just showing more and more how drastic the change is to player routing and how it would affect fights and stuff.

Already aware how cpma impacts map navigation, and the movement is one of the reason I don't play cpma.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

nothing that can't be done just by rocket jumping at UnFreeZe already so there's nothing really "new" about it, it just makes it more convenient and basically just the way it's meant to be (yes, custom maps are designed to be played like that). anyways don't worry that I don't really plan on adding this stuff outside of UnFreeZe, obviously the masters servers will remain "canon" not like this. ok, to finish with the feature demo as you brought it here you have another quick batch of essential must check jumps. just to be safe I included again the well known canonical aero benchmark jump this time live from the servers. after a few tries this time it just worked with no problem with average settings, playing with a average laptop, on a average connection as you can see so then it should be perfectly possible.

ok, I assume that then with that this should be done, let's see if then on the next weeks I properly package all this together on a small 2023 update as it was intended.
Attachments
t2tele.dm_68
(23.2 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
osp6ra.dm_68
(20.71 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
osp1b.dm_68
(10.31 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
osp1a.dm_68
(11.95 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
aeroserver.dm_68
(10.75 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

btw just as a small update on this I added today as well to UnFreeZe classic Quake II/Quake IV style rampjumps to enable a few more extra tricks and mobility. as a demonstration/test of the feature you can see this (all done and taken online plus two other small tricks as bonus).

if somebody is interested the demos are here (not gonna spam this with over a hundred demos hehe). overall looking good/solid.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5

Post by PacMan »

adminless wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 19:33 btw just as a small update on this I added today as well to UnFreeZe classic Quake II/Quake IV style rampjumps to enable a few more extra tricks and mobility. as a demonstration/test of the feature you can see this (all done and taken online plus two other small tricks as bonus).

if somebody is interested the demos are here (not gonna spam this with over a hundred demos hehe). overall looking good/solid.
Ok ok I think your getting carried away dude I mean even noobs got rocket scripts and don't need those

But anyways.......
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

haha I don't know but I think that at least I had lots of fun testing this stuff. I think it turned out pretty good and it should refresh some the game play even on the standard maps in addition to grow the number of maps that can now be played. as I see it I think that probably now almost every map should be appropriately playable with these settings. for reference and as last tutorial of the feature here you have as well the final test and benchmark on well known canon map cpm11a to ensure that the thing plays as intended and therefore the settings aren't broken. again everything recorded at the live servers and there you have the individual demos in case somebody wanna check those out as well. good stuff.
uZu
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: uZu

Post by uZu »

So i discovered these new changes in game. I don't know if they're going to be permanent but in my case, I'd really like to be able to opt-out.
The double-jump is not at all like it was in q2 or in CPM and feel really too bumpy to my taste, plus you can bump out of nowhere (ie not only on stairs), it feels just like the code is missing move control/behaviour.
So basically, these changes without air-control seems not right to me. Are you willing to add air control too?
Anyway, your server your rules, but if we can't choose to opt out it will be some kind of regression to me
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5

Post by PacMan »

uZu wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 14:22 So i discovered these new changes in game. I don't know if they're going to be permanent but in my case, I'd really like to be able to opt-out.
The double-jump is not at all like it was in q2 or in CPM and feel really too bumpy to my taste, plus you can bump out of nowhere (ie not only on stairs), it feels just like the code is missing move control/behaviour.
So basically, these changes without air-control seems not right to me. Are you willing to add air control too?
Anyway, your server your rules, but if we can't choose to opt out it will be some kind of regression to me
No air control ???
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

@uzu try today, slightly higher than expected jumps should be patched today and make sure to have installed the updated unfreeze-2305.pk3 mod file. as said plenty of times already of course the settings are gonna feel "different" because this is not Quake II neither cpma nor quakelive nor anything else, it's UnFreeZe so it's not gonna play the same way as cpma the same way Quake II isn't gonna play like it either as there's obviously differences among them (yes, most notably air control but not just that). that being said the physics are correct and I think I can prove it, that's a fact (just see the videos). as for air control I added it as well on the local tests these days and it was pretty much just something else. rather than "air control" that really felt more like flight mode to me and further changes aren't really a "option" (not the point I mean). the idea is to add a few extra features for the fans and the fun not to create a new mod and/or to turn this into something completely different and from what I have tested so far I believe these changes accomplish just that.
...jutuli...
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: ...jutuli...

Post by ...jutuli... »

What I experienced so far, I am great target for rails during these "jumps". I am used to jump when going up to stairs and now it take ages to fall back from air when I accidentally jump... I will try with the mod, hope it will be usable. Definitely not good changes for me.