Other Reports Discussion forum.
ang3lfish
User lv3
User lv3

Ban "Unnamedplayer" names.

Post by ang3lfish »

Hello

Lots of people play with this name. " Unnamedplayer "
It's annoying, you can't get rid of the stats, they're trolling, of course there are people who use this to cover up their real names.
There are several cases when 4-5 players with this name are playing on the server at the same time.
Would it be possible to ban this name?

best regards
oKo*CTHULHU
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: cTh

Re: Ban "Unnamedplayer" names.

Post by oKo*CTHULHU »

this topic has been brought up many times before, unfortunately you have to get used to people with no name. you won't get this Christmas present :D
Camaradas Iks De
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

yes I did no answer before as I was busy with the Christmas setups but yes, basically that's pretty much the answer. it's what it's, that's the default game name (as it comes out from the digital download platform) and you can not just "ban" it like that and/or ban people for it and quite frankly I rather prefer people (properly) unnamed than randomly named all over the place beside it's not even really that bad.
PUFF
User lv3
User lv3

Post by PUFF »

@adminless: could you show in the console the country from where it connects? for all players. like on other servers? this would deter trolls or at least we would know who we are dealing with. :wave:
...jutuli...
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: ...jutuli...

Post by ...jutuli... »

The fashion of changing nicknames and especially using "unnamed players" nicks is annoying. Quite often unnamed players are hiding - probably - well-known and good players. Then when there are more unnamed players in the game, I don't know which one is which, which one I have to be to watch out for and which one is a "lame". If there is a solution for this, it would be great.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

I remember back in the day the "flags" thing was always pretty much absolute rubbish with people "literally" shooting their flags and always a huge source of conflict and hating. the nationality is something that clearly isn't a game and thus it doesn't belong on it, particularly in a "global" one like this one. back in the day you had Косово and all the aftermath from decades long Balkan civil wars at the heart of Europe itself and nowadays you have the Новороссия conflict right on the headlines of the news everyday and widespread global emigration everywhere. of course for some (hopefully the majority) having a flag displayed and/or a country listed or another may not be a big deal but for others that's a pretty serious topic that has took incalculable lives over the history of human kind therefore that's something you can not just share and/or take lightly just like that.

@jutuli btw as a trivia, yeah I know, several of those "top" unnameds are in fact named players only wearing random nicks (typically fakes of registered known players and/or other known banned words for a reason) that then show up as unnameds in-game. I know, it's unfortunate but I don't think there's really much you can do about it.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

Anyway ass leader cliff can have is unamed name change to shemale , that should be easy no?
FilthyPirate
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: FilthyPirate

Post by FilthyPirate »

Would be nice if they were numbered, Unnamed-1, Unnamed-2 ect.. I remember servers back in the old days that would not let you connect if your name was Unnamedplayer.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

FilthyPirate wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:57 Would be nice if they were numbered, Unnamed-1, Unnamed-2 ect.. I remember servers back in the old days that would not let you connect if your name was Unnamedplayer.
You remember far to much old man
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

yeah and that was probably one of the reasons (among plenty of others of course, it's not just that) why the game died while this site is still running. as said, anything that interferes from the procedure of getting the game from a digital distribution platform at the best possible discount (like a few bucks as it seems to be the case these days and probably hence the "spike" on unnameds), launching it, click multiplayer and join the server/s right away in the least possible guarantee amount of time (like 1-2 seconds at most) it's just not acceptable, not acceptable at all. that's the way this capture new players and one of the reasons (I repeat among others of course) why this has been kept alive after all these years as you can see. if you stop taking players because they are unnamed just like that, from the point of view of somebody that just randomly came across a discount on a digital distribution platform for the game or a legacy computer/low-end netbook they just won't know and change their name. they'll just think that the server/game is broken and throw it away or even worse will ask for a refund which will only hurt the game even more. in no case, that will get them to the menu and change their name let alone to the console and/or to download any packs or to this site. all that will come later on with the time and experience but first you need to deliver a enjoyable experience out of the box because if you don't you'll never get there, you'll just kill the game right away.

as for the random unnamed names just as I commented previously, now having dozens of randomly named unnameds a day (which could even potentially be the same dude) doesn't really seem like a solution to me if not probably just making things worse. long story short, there's really no sensible solution to that, it's what it's, it's just a public server and that's the kind of stuff that takes place at a public server (you play random unnamed guys on a daily basis). I mean, to play well known named players you have the events as well as the more competitive servers like glacius for example or just the private server. pubs just work like that as it's has been well proven over the years and some of those Christmas randoms and unnameds are the ones later on feeding the community and the rest of the events here.
oabz
User lv1
User lv1

Post by oabz »

Openarena (stupidCTF mod) does (if I recall) rename the players with unnamedplayer default name into {country}+some_number (germany3344 for example or german3344, not sure)