cl_maxpackets for 3G

User's Guides & Help forum.
oKo*CTHULHU
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: cTh

Re: cl_maxpackets for 3G

Post by oKo*CTHULHU »

as for me, no difference between modifying the plasma by changing the appearance of the file shot, and setting e.g. r_picmip and low details in the game options. each of these methods produces the same results. besides, they are perfect solutions for public servers full of spam and chaos i think.
Camaradas Iks De
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

I agree that some graphic mods are kind of a soft hack although their influence can be overstated many times just like the ping difference does (to some extend of course, just as reference see all the drama of this year masters, 10 msecs changed really nothing) and they are always a double edge sword (ex. let's say you completely removed plasma shells, sure you'll can hit a lot more cleanly but at the same you would get hit and threw out of nowhere). it's edgy thing definitively.
oKo*CTHULHU
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: cTh

Post by oKo*CTHULHU »

many people use the available "tricks" to improve visibility, increase the effectiveness of the game or out of habit. The rocket jump command / script is a perfect example of this. even the best players reach for the opportunities that the game offers them. I started using r_picmip myself for two days and I'm playing better. or at least I have such an impression. Certainly, a rocket jump is something more interfering with the gameplay on freezetag servers without selfdamage than modifying graphic settings / visibility of individual elements. the same can be used to set the maximum time of ray visibility from RL for information where a given enemy is located. however, I consider such treatments too strong. besides, the chaos of public games would drive the owner of such commands mad. there are other things like setting the same character models for each user (which supposedly speeds up the game). however, I did not try any of these things due to a lack of interest.
Camaradas Iks De