#masters server mod discussion

Quake III Arena classic game servers forum.
fau
User lv4
User lv4

#masters server mod discussion

Post by fau »

Is it possible to convert masters server to the same mod as on unfreeze servers? Aiming on OSP feels so different than unfreeze, so lagged, that I don't want to move back and forth between them. Also they use different directory for configs and I'm not even sure if my config is the same.
I understand that OSP is most popular for vq3 duel but it seems only unfreeze players go there anyway. I'm sure most of them would appreciate all servers having the same feeling to them.

If it's impossible to run unfreeze mod in duel gametype then perhaps any other mod with unlagged would be better? Maybe CPMA?
aimer
User lv4
User lv4

Re: #masters server mod discussion

Post by aimer »

I'd rather keep using OSP on masters actually, i don't think the unfreeze mod suits the duel gameplay.

I think OSP has its own use, i've played against players there that normally wouldn't play on unfreeze (but still benefit from a duel server with low latency).

It seems like people go to Glacius to play "1on1" with the unfreeze mod now.
fau
User lv4
User lv4

Post by fau »

I don't mean having all weapons on spawn etc. Just unlagged/sv_fps or any other physics-related settings with normal duel gametype and votable maps. Personally I've got ping 30 on it and hitscan weapons are night and day. I could get used to it again but I'm not going to - call me spoiled :-)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

@fau yeah I know, OSP playing like absolute shit is exactly how is supposed to be, I mean, I'd rank OSP as one of the worst Quake III Arena mods ever, if not the very worst. matter of fact, setting up that masters server took me like one year just to get it barely playable (as you noted) and it still contains like a ton of bugs/issues anyways. I set up any of the other servers in weeks term with virtually no known bugs of significance despite having to put/add together all the code. ok, I might not be the best admin/developer in the world but I think that alone should speak volumes of how bad the thing really is.

the problem with it is that as you're noting even till this day that's the bare minimum the most elitist of the elitist players (i.e. a 3-4%) demand just to ever consider competing and a very large part of the rest blindly follow this minority of so-called gurus without any sort of critical thinking on their part as usual. that server was basically created for the inside tournaments, the funny thing here is, that despite meeting all those elitist requirements later, beside a couple of guys casually here and there, nobody really showed up for the actual tournaments/fights.

anyways, just saying, fast forward some years, yes like aimer is telling the server ended up becoming more or less mainstream and despite all that making its own population of public players that generally differs from that of the other well-known UnFreeZe servers. sometimes you might find someone from UnFreeZe there, as well as someone from the masters at the UnFreeZe servers, but is probably not the most frequent. as aimer also pointed out most from UnFreeZe when want some 1vs1 go to glacius which is completely empty like 24/7 (again despite the popular claim that it was all that it was missing from UnFreeZe just to be a even bigger hit btw).

so initially giving that I don't really see much changes happening at the masters server, I think that is doing reasonably good for a duel server as it's. as long as some smart-ass don't vote some of the elitist maps that only that 3-4% of the players ever had installed at some point in their lives at most is generally easy to get games going there so I'll leave it. what I could do instead, would be to set up another different standard duel server if there's enough interest, I think that would be a better idea.

about that, I didn't really create the UnFreeZe thing with other modes in mind so I don't really know how it would play out. I haven't tested it but probably I think that it should mostly work and just with some adjustments/fixes in some time it should be done. however I think that probably it would be a better and more direct solution just to take the ctf server for that matter (which is kind of a UnFreeZe a-like version) and that should probably just work right away. so take a look at the ctf server (which btw is finally slowing starting to gain some players) and let me know how you see it for that purpose. if so I could probably deploy that tomorrow or so along with the masters server.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

fau wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 17:30 I don't mean having all weapons on spawn etc. Just unlagged/sv_fps or any other physics-related settings with normal duel gametype and votable maps. Personally I've got ping 30 on it and hitscan weapons are night and day. I could get used to it again but I'm not going to - call me spoiled :-)
Leave it as is , any advantage I can get over you is better , although you probably still fry me with your LG

8-)
fau
User lv4
User lv4

Post by fau »

Is there any way to have 250 fps on masters server?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

with the community package (fpsclasico-client-community-edition.zip) files here or similar you can just do \com_maxfps 250 and I think it should just work. hope that helps.