Nasty lag or what,Tar why only 100 fps???

Quick Unregistered Guest forum.
Amdoro

Nasty lag or what,Tar why only 100 fps???

Post by Amdoro »

Please try this homeside really helpfull

Ps/ Tar why are you running in 100 fps on hardcore mode??? To weak computer??? Server can handle 200fps...

Ps2/ Please Admin can you set the server to cl_maxpackets 125 or moore as standard?

I need moore bandwith;)

Mvh/ Amdoro
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Re: Nasty lag or what,Tar why only 100 fps???

Post by tar »

I set it yesterday to 100 fps as I switched sync on as my monitor only has 100 Hz.

With sync on and ioQuake3 v1.36 I got unstable fps. After switching sync off and using ioQuake3 v1.33 the fps stabilized.

Now I switched back to 125 fps (with sync off, of course) and again get slightly unstable fps (sometimes going from 125 to 123 fps for some milliseconds) which also results in slight stuttering. Now v1.33 is not playable anymore and v1.36 also has some issues.

As far as I know there is a connection between frames and network packages as they are sent with the frames. Therefore the following commands are connected:

r_swapinterval (0/1): sync off/on
r_displayrefresh (xxx): display refresh rate
com_maxfps (xxx): maximum fps (with r_swapinterval 1 it should be the same as r_displayrefresh)
cl_maxpackets (xxx): xxx equals com_maxfps (if you set this to lower than this, it will cut maxpackets in half, e.g. com_maxfps =125, cl_maxpackets =100 means your maxpackets become 63 (half your fps because 100 is not divisible by 125))

So when my fps drop a bit I guess my maxpackets do cut in half for that moment.

I really do not know what the f*** is wrong here. It feels strange, often delayed, rocket jumps regularly do not work as expected.

My hardware: https://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-380950
My config: https://uploadfiles.io/3ohcj

So, any help is welcome here :)
newb.zi (stats · system)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

@amdoro I've already answered you about that, no, you just need to connect directly to the server. besides that, I don't have much to tell you if you don't like the standard, recommended and more than well tested settings and you think that you can do better, ok, that's cool, just override them and do whatever you want but don't complain to me if your (not mine) stuff doesn't work.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

@tar with that large monitor if you struggle to get the fps try just connecting with 1.33 and simply do \com_maxfps 100 (note, bind it since you will have to override it anytime, eg. \bind f "exec my_settings" then create a my_settings.cfg file with the settings you want)
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Post by fernandinho1337 »

tar can you post what system specs u have. i cant believe some machines dont get stable 120/125 fps nowadays...is there something else wrong with your computer?
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

By testing and editing my config I got it stabilized by updating gfx drivers, deactivating some 3D-settings from driver side, deactivating sync and using v1.36 with the following settings:

Code: Select all

seta cl_renderer			"opengl2"
seta r_gldriver				"opengl2"
seta r_customheight			"1440"
seta r_customwidth			"3440"
seta r_displayrefresh			"100"
seta r_fullscreen			"1"
seta r_gamma				"1.4"
seta r_mapOverbrightbits		"3"
seta r_mode				"-1"
seta r_picmip				"4"
seta r_swapInterval			"0"
seta r_textureMode			"GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST"

seta com_maxfps			"200"
seta com_hunkMegs		"77"
seta com_soundMegs		"32"
seta com_zoneMegs		"48"

seta cg_optimiseBW		"1"
seta cg_predict			"2"
seta cg_nudge			"0"
seta cg_xerpClients		"1"
seta cl_allowDownload		"0"
seta cl_anonymous		"0"
seta cl_cURLLib			"libcurl-3.dll"
seta cl_guidServerUniq		"1"
seta cg_laghax			"-1"
seta cl_lanForcePackets		"1"
seta cl_packetdup		"0"
seta cl_punkbuster		"0"
seta cl_maxpackets		"100"
seta cl_maxPing			"800"
seta cl_timeNudge		"0"
seta snaps			"40"
seta rate			"25000"
The issue was that something just disturbed my constant fps. I have really no clue what of all this solved it but I guess it either were wrong memory size settings within the config (the com_xxxMegs) or something wrong with the driver settings which I have now set as shown in the attached image. You can see my hardware here.
Attachments
nvidia660gtx.png
(35.3 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Last edited by tar on Sat Dec 30, 2017 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
newb.zi (stats · system)
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Post by fernandinho1337 »

i guess whatever computer u got with a gtx 660 u should not have any issues with drops. is it possible ur windows installation is somehow broken or ur hdd or something else doesnt work perfectly...i got like 1000 fps or so on timedemo without tweaking my config very hard..so there is no way there are fps drops...u should be similiar
Amdoro

Post by Amdoro »

Hi i saw a strange thing about yours settings please try changing power management mode to "prefer maximum performance" insted and read what adaptive does to yours computer:)

Happy new years to you all Quakers out there:)

And be kind to yours team mates they play better then;)

Mvh/ Amdoro
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

Hi Amdoro,

if you want you should only use maximum performance for the particular 3D application and not globally as it would be in constant high voltage mode e.g. in Chrome, which would not be reasonable. When I had the issue I also had it on maximum performance already and switched between maximum and adaptive after reading that there could be some issues regarding maximum performance. Now, as it works fine for me, I leave it as it is. Thanks anyway and sorry: but if some mates neither can unfreeze and are constantly shooting on me, I cannot be friendly somehow ;)
newb.zi (stats · system)
your_sister
User lv3
User lv3

Post by your_sister »

Hi,

sorry to link to this discussion. I checked my fps too. And I cant get them higher then 125 on unfreeze server or any other server. But when playing single, I can. So is it correct that server limit it too 125? Somewhere I read unfreeze server limit to 200 fps. So something else is getting in the way. Any idea's?

YS
Amdoro

Post by Amdoro »

Try this seta com_maxfps "200" in yours cfg and this one seta r_swapInterval "0"

turn off v-sync in windows

And yes if the server can give you 200fps as this one can you really want yours system to do 200fps:)

If you still on a 60hz monitor please change to a 120hz or better you like it:)

Mvh/ Amdoro
your_sister
User lv3
User lv3

Post by your_sister »

Hi Amdoro,

Thank you for your reply. I did all of that, but still I cant get over 125 fps in server play.

Happy New year!

YS
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

weird thing because there shouldn't be more than that, sorry about that and happy new year guys :D
your_sister
User lv3
User lv3

Post by your_sister »

yes, very weird. Can go up to 1000fps local. But whenever online, no higher then 125. Tried like everything to be found on the net. Somewhere there is a setting that does it. Well 125 fps is best fps anyways, but still strange.
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

Perhaps cl_maxpackets affects your fps - is it set to 100 or 125?

Then you could try to connect with a clean config (delete q3config.cfg and do not execute any when starting Q3) and see if that works. If so, then something in the config is wrong - if not, then I guess it is either your hardware/drivers/driver-settings or your connection.

Try to disable "threaded optimization" in your nvidia control panel.
newb.zi (stats · system)