Lagging around

Express Yourself here.
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Lagging around

Post by tar »

So, my first try recording Q3 with OBS Studio. Pixel galore :D

Here you can see the stuttering which occured due to unstable fps in ioQ3 v1.36 and therefore in unstable package sending. However, even with that struggle I was not sooooo bad :lol: You can recognize my package loss struggle especially after 7:40 when I miss the rocket on Amdoro and shortly afterwards on mZ/x when the new round begins.

Besides my exeptional recording skills (harrrrr) you can study the brave grouping/zerging and waiting behaviour of such "giants" ;) like Nastia and Facehugger as well as the netcode bugging from tisk@r (like bnobek/patrick).

For details and demo see description of the video.

@Fernandinho: I hid my cheats on the cropped right side ;)

newb.zi (stats · system)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Lagging around

Post by adminless »

Cool :)

btw letting you know (just in case you don't know) that you don't need to mess around with heavy and "complicated" external software to create Quake III Arena videos videos for YouTube if you want you can just use ioQuake3 to render a demo with the command video, example from main menu with def settings once loaded the unfreeze mod:

Code: Select all

demo demo0000; video
that will create the video file video0000.avi file in your videos folder inside your unfreeze folder at your Quake III Arena path, it will take long and it will produce a huge file, you can later convert it (i.e. compress it) to other formats (i.e. x264 mp4) with any video conversor or just can upload it raw (format is mjpeg) to YouTube and it should deal with that.

can start by a small demo to test it out, overall is recommended to lower a bit the q3 resolution to do the rendering (i.e. 720p should be a good compromise).

anyways just saying, have fun, see you
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

When I lower the resolution it is not full screen respectively it is full screen with the set resolution as small window within a big black frame. That is unplayable as I do not see shit and the mouse movement is slower.
newb.zi (stats · system)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

I meant about the lowered resolution at the time of rendering the demo to create the video file not when recording the demo (i.e. playing).

PS: when using the q3 method I suggested I mean also
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

Ah I see, but with this demo you are not able to see how I experience the game as the demo is played from the base3 folder which does not use the unfreeze pk3s (so you see different models and stuff) and is the actual lag experience not filtered when playing a demo as there is no packet loss anymore?
newb.zi (stats · system)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

the demo should be on your unfreeze folder already, if not just move it there, and to load the unfreeze mod you can just do that on the mods option in the main menu (q3->mods->unfreeze then demo whatever; video. here, well before, is were you lower your setting if you want, if not is gonna take "forever" and end up with a "infinite" file, not when playing, when play just play as usual and record, the demo, as usual). well if you missed some frames while playing they aren't going to be there but besides that it should look better and more smooth than by using a external tool, I mean that's how I use to do it when making videos. first try just with a small demo of a couple of seconds to see how it does for you.
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

1) When I enter the game, I have to execute com_maxfps and cl_maxpackets to 100 or 125. It resets to the server values not only after a new round but regularly after some time... and this is really annoying. I have no clue why you set this by the server and why to 200 fps. It is widely known that 125 fps is the best value for Q3 due to the optimized jump height. It would be reasonable to cap a maximum value so that players like me shouldnt permanently check and set their values. Even with a binding it is crazy.

2) I tried it again with v1.36, sync on and 100 fps. The heavy stuttering came from your server side value setting. As I set both values the stuttering became less frequent but I noticed another thing. When I enter the game my mouse and keyboard control/feedback is very smooth - so everything is fine even with the small stuttering from 125 to 12x resp. 100 to 9x fps - but the control/feedback gets more and more laggy/delayed the longer I play until a point where I just cannot hit any rockets and it gets frustrating. I think it is caused by some config values that either disturb the network or the input. I do not think that I need a new gfx card.

Could you please check my config and tell me, which values are set on my config by the server?
newb.zi (stats · system)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

because I don't want people using 125 old school related settings since they are a terrible option here. 125 was chosen yes because of game physics but also because of the good old school 120hz refresh rate of the crt monitors at the time (early 2000's) but the former does not apply here anymore (corrected physics) and the later is no longer relevant either (typical current relevant pal, i.e. european, refresh rates are 144~200) then in order to better accommodate for these facts a target of 200 fps was chosen when designing the server, in fact using 125 settings here is very likely to cause sync problems like the ones you're describing to some extend (not that bad like yours but at least to some extend).

the client enforced settings at the server are as follow down below, like said anyone can override anything at anytime in his client, but long story short, I can guarantee you that if that doesn't do it change anything of that (I'm referring to the net/physics related settings there) isn't going to provide any better consistent results.
sever enforced client settings wrote:cg_brasstime 0
cg_marks 0
r_dynamiclight 0
cg_noprojectiletrail 1
cl_punkbuster 0
cl_packetdup 0
cl_maxpackets 100
com_hunkmegs 77
com_maxfps 200
vm_ui 2
vm_cgame 2
the only recommended thing there (again net/physics related) to change in some special situations there are the fps so my advice to you after watch your setup is what i told you, ioq3 1.33 and com_maxfps 100 binded nothing more if that doesn't do it I'm sorry for you but I can tell you with almost total certainty that nothing is going to do it in a consistent basis which is what I'm talking about (sure yeah like you're saying may be 5 minutes with a low network congestion it does work then with a realistic network it stops doing it or one day with only other premium equipment clients works and the next with realistic clients breaks etc etc you can trust me that in the long run you're just going to be wasting your time by going anywhere outside of the recommendations here).

if the 100 fps thing is too annoying for you (which I understand, I still have to polish a bit the user experience there I know) and you can't get to the stable 200 fps (that I guess) I believe that you could give a try at using ioq3 1.33 (intel at your case) and then running the game at a resolution of 2064x864 instead without any filters in your graphics drivers (i.e. anti-aliasing, anisotropic, mipmap etc). example:

Code: Select all

\r_displayrefresh 100
\r_swapinterval 0
\r_mode -1
\r_customheight 2064
\r_customwidth 864
\vid_restart
the server will set the rest for you and those will stay in your cfg (so you won't need to retype them) and I believe that that should do it for you.
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Post by fernandinho1337 »

hi adminless

can you explain what vm_ui 2 and vm_cgame 2 does?

thanks

best regards

ps thanks for your hint towards this thread. didnt see it, sorry :-)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

just plain basic ("trivial") anti-cheat measures, on regular Quake 3 installations (i.e. not already hacked) prevent them from loading external game modules (aka native game modules, dlls) that doesn't come from any know/proven pk3 thus forcing loading of compiled modules from them which can then be verified.