Change the server's mod

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
ric
User lv1
User lv1

Change the server's mod

Post by ric »

Instead of using baseq3, is it possible switch the current mod to OSP or other mods?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Change the server's mod

Post by adminless »

you're wrong is not baseq3 is a custom mod I made from mixing sources from other mods (the actual original ones btw, not remixes of remakes etc) as well as many of my own code and no sorry but I have no intention in dropping it, for the good or the bad that's what the server runs and I believe that is doing great overall to tell you the truth and anyways is definitely the only option that would suit my admin needs as no other thing is gonna give me the level of customization and adaptation for a very specific particular purpose that is required to run this (in other words, if I don't like something in ones of those or something is broken there, there's nothing I can do about it, as a admin and responsible of this project there's no way I can allow me myself to be restricted in such a way and be accountable for other people mistakes/decisions like that, under no circumstance, it would be absolutely irresponsible of me, I can only be restricted by my own ability of improving my own technical and problem solving skills and accountable for the own consequences of the decisions I take, which while obviously this of course converges into a finite value this is way higher than just dropping a coupe of cvars or cfgs as some other person, not me personally, understood that things should be and that most often than not doesn't correspond to how I understand that things should be done or how they actually fit in my current infrastructure and my particular use).

in line with this just to drop you a random real life actual example of why that you're suggesting is such a terrible idea you can have my fpsclasico.de tdm Urban Terror server here, it was top (comparable to this UnFreeZe thing) during that mod 4.3.1 version, then they (not me) released 4.3.2 and all of the sudden everything was over "in an instant" (really yeah sure the week after the update it still went to 8/10 players, from typically 16+/20, then to 4/8 the next and by ten or so days it became totally irrelevant and by the time being, almost a year after, it remained that way and never recovered from that) and there was absolutely anything I could do other than witness it die with my own eyes (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4). and btw sure I know that something like that isn't too likely to happen here (death dev) but trust me that I even used some of those in the past at some point and I could put several other examples here, I would be plain stupid and incompetent if I wouldn't have learned from my own mistakes and repeat them again, I mean, I know, I know, I'm fully aware that ideally I should personally construct a microprocessor's factory and design a microprocessor just with all the required high level instructions for the game (specially geometric) built into the very own microprocessor's electronic instruction set and a super high cache then I should integrate all that in a board with a very own optimized Quake III Arena UnFreeZe mod version for that very own architecture and put it right on the firmware nothing more (not even a hard disk) and I would powered it with a mini heavy water nuclear reactor fueled with the very own high quality uranium (with a positron fuel upgrade currently under development for reduced size) I personally harvested myself all connected with a trivial custom embedded and proprietary network infrastructure I would also personally deploy myself all over the parts of Europe and CIS countries after going back to the university and spent several years in R&D looking for a cable that could personally meet these needs (I suck at wiring, I wasn't that good at signal theory, so I believe that I would have to spend like 10 years on that task alone to really come to something meaningful) and that anything less wouldn't assure the quality standard needed here.

unfortunately as you may guess I know well that that's a realistically unattainable goal for me, not even if I would dedicate my own whole life span and efforts into it but well at least one thing I can tell for sure using other peoples game mods isn't going to take me any closer to that goal and it would definitively be a huge step backwards in almost any sense.

btw if you want you can also just request for something to be added instead of all this.

anyways I hope you don't take it personal haha I was just babbling random thoughts for the last part xD kidding but I guess that you get the point. ok, please be welcome to the forum too hehe see you
ric
User lv1
User lv1

Post by ric »

to be honest you have nothing to lose if you switch to osp or other mods (cpma (with vq3 ruleset) wouldn't be bad too). they're improved versions of baseq3 and there's a lack of features in the current mod:

can barely see my gun (i'm playing in a 16:9 monitor if that matters)
cannot change HUD
models are the same for both teams (that shouldn't happen in a team based gamemode)
if you end a round alive you don't respawn (you won't have 200hp and 100armor after ending a round)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

-can barely see my gun (i'm playing in a 16:9 monitor if that matters)

lol most people play with cg_drawgun 0 (no gun) plus the gun is basically the same thing

-cannot change HUD

and why do you want to change it, missing something?

-models are the same for both teams (that shouldn't happen in a team based gamemode)

??? you didn't even bother in trying to configure it yet you pretend that I bother in reconfigure everything just to suit your particular likes, come on buddy

Code: Select all

\model keel
\headmodel keel
\team_model sarge
\team_headmodel sarge
\cg_forcemodel 3
\cg_forceskin 1
-if you end a round alive you don't respawn (you won't have 200hp and 100armor after ending a round)

sure because I want to that way the game is overall more balanced (some people doesn't get yet even more overpowering, i.e. immortal)

last but not least overall look is simpler than all that if you want to make some meaningful suggestions and really care in improve the mod or just give your opinion overall that's cool, I mean, that's why there's this forum, but if you just want to say that you feel like throwing away my mod and use something else I believe that you already did and I already answered you that so you have it easy, just don't play it and play something else if you don't like it. I have zero intention in "selling" you anything.
ric
User lv1
User lv1

Post by ric »

adminless wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 20:04 -can barely see my gun (i'm playing in a 16:9 monitor if that matters)

lol most people play with cg_drawgun 0 (no gun) plus the gun is basically the same thing
that's a lie, you can't say for sure most people play without the gun on display
adminless wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 20:04 -cannot change HUD

and why do you want to change it, missing something?
the vanilla hud is bad and it's not aligned with my resolution: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png
adminless wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 20:04 -models are the same for both teams (that shouldn't happen in a team based gamemode)

??? you didn't even bother in trying to configure it yet you pretend that I bother in reconfigure everything just to suit your particular likes, come on buddy

Code: Select all

\model keel
\headmodel keel
\team_model sarge
\team_headmodel sarge
\cg_forcemodel 3
\cg_forceskin 1
that doesn't work, the model var is ignored and only the team_model var is used, I always have keel on both teams...
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

-that's a lie, you can't say for sure most people play without the gun on display

yes sure it is (yet many people does anyway) but who cares, that's not the point here, I wasn't trying to be that "precise", it was just a saying, come on dude, seriously, what the hell is wrong with you? I'm not here to stand anyone, do not waste my time with non sense arguments.

-the vanilla hud is bad and it's not aligned with my resolution

??? I see it perfectly aligned on your screenshot what is not is stretched (deformed, which is a different thing) to fill the whole screen, this is a intentional (and correct) behavior of the mod in order to preserve the original (and correct) aspect ratio of the 2d drawings so squares keep being squares and circles that, circles too, and don't get deformed into rectangles/ellipses (like other mods incorrectly do for example).

-that doesn't work, the model var is ignored and only the team_model var is used, I always have keel on both teams...

tell me, what part of I developed that mod you're using you did not understand? listen it's not my problem if you're unable to follow the instructions that the guy who created and provided you with the file you're using is giving you, I have nothing to do with that, believe what you want. (as a side note, currently if you only change the model/headmodel cvar in mid game for your enemymodel you have to force a forcemodel refresh to have the changes reflected instantly, other way they will reflect on next game)