map rotation

Quick Unregistered Guest forum.
marsupilami

map rotation

Post by marsupilami »

Hello adminless,

my pseudo in game is "marsupilami".

I wanted to ask you if you could add the callvote for the maps. That would be nice, so we could move to the next map or a chosen map, convenient in cases where the number of players is not enough for a large map, or in case the players prefer to play another map. But I understand that this can be problematic if players are casting replay votes. This should be limited to one or two votes per game and with a time of rehearsal determined over time.

Thank you in advance for taking my request into consideration, and thank you also for having built and made available these UnFreeZe servers. I really appreciate being able to play this mod.

I am French, sorry for my English not very good

my respectful greetings
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: map rotation

Post by adminless »

hey hi there marsupilami

well I believe that with the "I understand that this can be problematic" you mostly answered yourself, I've already answered this many times, yes it's, in the long run is a killer, trust me, I know that from years of experience running top public servers like these. basically I think that is just like you say, i.e. a cat and mouse game, a couple of random guys join an low populated (1, 2 players) server and will load a crazy random map they like then server gets populated (so previous vote was no even longer representative) and everybody will have to play the crazy map that some guys voted before so after that point a vote war will broke that will last for ages and not to mention that with vote enable pro-q3dm6 would load (or at least would be voted) half the time approximately and any other map besides q3dm7 and may be just sometimes q3dm14 wouldn't have a fair chance of loading, like I'm saying just to drop a couple examples, so sure like you also well said, I would start limiting this and that other thing, ok, people will just reconnect, who cares after all, so I'll go and start banning those guys instead and limiting even more and finally at the end of the day we'll just end with people discrediting me for banning people "for no reason" (as you can clearly see there was a reason) and a useless vote functionality not really worth for anything solid that the remaining people would start complaining again about and cycle will just repeat over and over.

trust me I've experienced that for years, so hear what I'm going to say when I started to admin I also thought like you but over the years I came to realize that as unpopular as this can sound, as a admin, you can not let users control a public server in such a way because at the end of the day they are that, users and not admins, therefor, they lack the focus, direction and guidance that a server admin has and that is required to make a proper use of such a permission in a popular public server because basically is that, I ask you instead why, for what specific problem, you want to call a vote (the map rotation actually already loads convenient maps for number of players as much as possible, i.e. server can't predict if people will disconnect or new people connect on next map and nobody can, anyways is already proven to be working as much as possible) because if there's really such a issue to call for votes, report it instead and I'll fix for everybody, everytime.

so long story short, callvote is good for clan/private alike server where mostly everybody is on the same page and there's not many differences between its players not for popular public servers.

just as a reminder letting you know that you can actually vote for maps and rotations at the servers in the poll forum you have here (voting at the poll forum require registration, though you can even create your own votes and vote on polls here as a guest, I mean in this sub-forum, if you want) and that you also have a secondary UnFreeZe server (UnFreeZe2, 51.255.170.73:27960) currently full of custom maps 20 hours a day and that the rest (at peaks times) it runs standard ones in case you feel like playing some other maps or you want to have an alternative to the UnFreeZe1 server map at peaks times.

ok, sorry for long answer/lecture I just hope that this clears the issue for most people and don't worry I'm spanish your english is more than good in fact most likely better than mine hahaha

and it's great that you appreciate my work, thanks about that and playing here, have fun and take care
marsupilami

Re: map rotation

Post by marsupilami »

Hi adminless

Thank you very much for your answer and for your explanations. I understand and accept this choice.

my respectful greetings

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri May 11, 2018 8:22.