Cant get sound working on new server!

Quick Unregistered Guest forum.
Amdoro

Cant get sound working on new server!

Post by Amdoro »

Cant get sound working on new server! But all works fine on the Old server, have SB Z card.

Mvh/ Amdoro
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Cant get sound working on new server!

Post by adminless »

but let's see, you still have connection and can move around the map, see the enemies, rockets and all that, right? then, I don't mean to be rude with you but it's not a server problem, it's a client problem. sound gets generated from the information the server send you, which is correct as it's actually drawing on your screen, at your client, it's not that the "sound" gets transmitted over the net by the server "as is". so why you have no sound at the new server, I just don't know, perhaps you was connecting to the old host directly via some cmd that sets some variable you needed for the sound to work, perhaps I also remember you played with a lot of fancy network and sound latency settings I always recommended you to leave alone and that they weren't even worth the effort but you ignored my advice and did anyways that now under just marginal different circumstances broke altogether, who knows, try resetting your cfg.
Amdoro

Post by Amdoro »

Yes it was s_mixahead that was the error=aka me thanks for the help Admin.

Now to the 64 bits ver, there i cant pull down the consol any tips?

Looks lika a new cfg on every exe why arent they using the single one thats are in unfeeze?

Mvh/ Amdoro
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Post by fernandinho1337 »

i have a version of ioquake where i have to hit ^ twice to pull it down
sometimes its ALT+^ or STRG+ALT+^ or u have to do something like com_allowconsole 1 in ur config manually and then it works again.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

yeah something like that is what I had guessed that would be the issue. yes, that's a good question there this time, well if you read the post about the 64 bit builds (and not just blindly clicked to download them) you should already know that they are not my code this time (thus they differ from the recommended ones) and that they are just offered as extra alternative (fancy) builds mostly for whoever is interested in trying (experimenting/having fun with) some 64 bit builds (as I won't add 64 bit builds to the recommended ones since it's not really worth it, I mean, judge by yourself) and to get going the ipv6 connectivity of the new host quickly (as yes, this time I'll add ipv6 support to the recommended builds but that will take me more time and it even depends on some services I'm setting up as we speak, so to get started I just grabbed some latest vanilla ioquake3 code and put it there as is plus they will stick as extra alternative 64 bit builds for the long run). I did not put those builds there with the intention that people switch to them beside the initial testing/launch of ipv6 (which btw it's not your case), so once again, I don't mean to be rude but it's your business if you using them beside toying/experimenting with them, they are unrecommended beside those uses.

yes true, I also noticed that, once again new ioquake3 versions are broken. as fer is telling keyboard mapping vary greatly from ioquake3 version/build to ioquake3 version/build and even among operative systems versions, with some being partially or totally broken, they aren't consistent (once again there you have even yet another point against new ioquake3 versions). beside fer suggestion of basically just "try"/"guess" which one is the correct, another workaround is to open your q3config.cfg file, search for the "toggleconsole" bind or binds and put there the key/button you want to use to bring up the console, in case later it breaks yet once again and you can not bring it down just type "\toggleconsole" at the current console.

you don't like it, neither I do, bottom line stick to the well known and proven builds and you won't have this kind of issues and everything will work as it actually should.

PS: another thing to try as workaround for the broken console is to set a ascii (English United States) keyboard layout in windows, that way perhaps it should pop up as usual, or at least in some "normal" manner I mean, you can always switch back to your regional normal keyboard layout after the game.