Any way to stabilize fps?

Quick Unregistered Guest forum.
Matacristo

Any way to stabilize fps?

Post by Matacristo »

Hey everyone!
I'm playing with the unfreeze mod and I set the com_maxfps in 200. Most of the time are stable, the 200 number stays freezed, but often, when I enter the game for the first time or specially in q3tourney4 map, Vertical Vengeance, frames drop making hard to aim. I dont think its my PC cause q3 its an old game and I overpass the necesary requirements (although it can be problem of my PC)
So is there any way to improve performanceI can try, specially for that map?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Any way to stabilize fps?

Post by adminless »

yes that map is the most picky of the whole q3 standard map set as it has a very high visibility nearly from every part of the map hence the frame drops. beside lower all the graphical details (ex. r_picmip 16 etc etc - read more) that I believe that you probably have already done, your best shot is probably just to lower your resolution for that map (ex. 1024x768 should do the trick) or if no then simply to cut the fps in half (ex. com_maxfps 100), remember to simply bind the different settings to some key so you can easily access them as coming in and out. hope that helps
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Post by fernandinho1337 »

hi

there are lots of tweaks (graphics and other) that really boost your fps (graphics: picmip vertexlight subdivisions and much much more sound: you gained a lot of fps in the old days from messing with mixahead settings).

if i were u i would monitor cpu/ram usage while playing (use google: windows has a functionality to analyze that and there is tons of freeware too). if you know for sure that quake3 is your problem then start tweaking your config. what type of monitor do u use? i strongly believe widescreen resolutions often cause much lower fps. e. g. i have a 4:3 monitor so i dont have issues.

it would be helpful to know more details about your computer. e.g. if u have a ssd and a hdd and ur game is installed on the hdd partition make sure u move it to the ssd partition. those types of things can already help...

best regards
matacristoss

Post by matacristoss »

Well, first I asked for commands cause in QLive I have the same exact problem with fps dropping, and it was fixed with /com_idlesleep. Seems in ql even if you have an ultimate computer you need this command to mantain stable frames. So I was looking for something similiar here in quake 3
Yeah, also I have 4:3 monitor, my game is installed in the hdd partition. I've tried to reduce the resolution for mow, hope it works
Sadly, it's hard to measure the improvements, cause I've said, the fps drops are random. Dm6 works great, other maps no so great, and it's not a big deal, my game works great most of the time
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

1. go to quake 3 menu
2. load unfreeze mod
3. open console and type timedemo 1
4. type demo four
5. after demo is finished open console and see how many fps you have
golden rule: 280to290fps is required to be fine at all times

if you have random lags maybe there is something running in the background? check task manager/ get a tool to record cpu/ram usage and check whats going on

best regards

ps what resolution do u use now? what type of computer do u have exactly?
pps 995 fps ;-)
Mata

Post by Mata »

I tried running the demo and the frames per second were 254, dont know if thats perfect...
My specs are i5-7200U 2.5 ghz, Intel graphics 620, 8gb ram...
Lowered the resolution to 1024x768, but it seems did not much effect.
Probably its something running on background, the antivirus sometimes works on his own and ruins other games, I should check that. I have power settings to max, but even with maximum saving power q3 runs perfectly
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

your GPU is sh*t. you dont get enough fps for constant maxfps 100/125/200.
i assume you play on laptop? you should post your config so we can make suggestions.
onlycape
User lv3
User lv3

Post by onlycape »

Hi Mata,
Most likely, as Fernandinho says, your problem is the integrated GPU. An integrated GPU needs to access the system memory through the CPU, and this favors an irregular performance like the one you describe.

Apart from the settings within quake, you can improve the graphic performance in the 3d section of the intel graphics configuration program. If the option exists turn off the antialiasing filter, choose the "performance" mode, ...

You say that the fall of frames occurs especially at the beginning of the game. At that time several files on the disk are loaded in memory, so maybe you have a disk problem (a bad sector, or it is just very fragmented).

Regards.
cBs KRA7OS
User lv4
User lv4

Post by cBs KRA7OS »

mata
change the disk to ssd and bind under com_max fps 200 and cl_maxpacket 125, it is not possible that with such a laptop you have frame drops !!! can you update any programs in the background? you probably have 10 wines !!! I use win7 and my laptop in timedemo 1 at 1280 resolution and 960fps
if you use 10 wines, go to manage services and applications, and you can turn off applications that are being updated in the background
but it can still be the temperature, maybe you have too high? try the notebookfancontrol 1.5.3 program
or you want to try on my cfg? :)
12 kilss gauntlet:)
Attachments
37738424_676698636040768_2945642795282464768_o.jpg
cBs KRA7OS
User lv4
User lv4

Post by cBs KRA7OS »

oh you have to bind yourself com_maxfps 200 and cl_max .... because every time you start the game, the server assigns its settings so it's best to have a binded up and later vid restart and everything will be ok. mat and programs that run in the tray austostart anti-viruses, huts and the like it is best to switch off during the game, there are a lot of programs that work in the background while playing and the processor suffers from it :) messengers and other under the game to switch off
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

hey devil seriously you know I have nothing against you personally but I believe that I already told you way too many times that you need to stop flooding the forum with meaningless one sentence posts or I'll have no other option but to block you yet another time, this is a forum not a chat room, you can even edit your own posts just in case you want to add up something.
cBs KRA7OS
User lv4
User lv4

Post by cBs KRA7OS »

ok :) I understand, I will not write so much :) I greet
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

Matacristo wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 19:28 Hey everyone!
I'm playing with the unfreeze mod and I set the com_maxfps in 200. Most of the time are stable, the 200 number stays freezed, but often, when I enter the game for the first time or specially in q3tourney4 map, Vertical Vengeance, frames drop making hard to aim. I dont think its my PC cause q3 its an old game and I overpass the necesary requirements (although it can be problem of my PC)
So is there any way to improve performanceI can try, specially for that map?
I'd strongly recommend you giving a try to the new inside release, ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v19.2.zip with the base "hardcore" settings, as although it's not a miraculous thing, I think it should considerably deliver significant improved performance to some extend. check it out.