Sticky grenades

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
oKo*CTHULHU
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: cTh

Sticky grenades

Post by oKo*CTHULHU »

Have you noticed that there have been minor issues with grenades for a while? Earlier it was either not noticed or it was not occurring. I mean grenades sticking to the enemy. I'm not talking about frozen bodies, I'm talking about a living player. I had a situation where the fired grenade did not explode at all in contact with the player. It stuck to his belt. Only the second grenade launched the combo, hitting the player twice in one moment. I remember recording a demo at this point, but unfortunately it was in the previous month and I am not able to find it even if I remember the map and the location of the situation (q3dm7 stairs next to the mega). Can anyone tell where it comes from? Is this some kind of bug in the game?
Camaradas Iks De
fau
User lv4
User lv4

Re: Sticky grenades

Post by fau »

I think it's been happening since forever in q3 and it's very not rare at all. Grenades quite often don't go off on contact.
It's also known and never fixed bug in quakelive.
Another rare bug in both games are shotgun pellets "exploding" right in front of your face and not hitting the target.
fau
User lv4
User lv4

Post by fau »

Here, just googled it in ql:

Knowing that it happens I notice it very often in-game.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

yes just as fau is commenting over the years I also encountered that as well as other minor similar physics glitches however in my experience they happen more rarely than often (at least on my experience on Quake III Arena/UnFreeZe) so they are probably something not to worry too much about in general terms. as I see it I believe that really fix that would probably require pretty much entirely rewrite the physics engine/game code which not only I'm not gonna do (i.e. beyond my time/ability) that even if I somehow would (ex. github/forking) it would probably be no good either as it would lead to kind of another game and not the game we are used to (i.e. it would definitively have a serious impact on the feeling of the game and it would significantly change the behavior). I mean, I believe that the fact that such glitches are even present (if not worse from what I can read) on the 2010+ professional commercial studio remake of the game (aka quakelive) should tell you all you need to know about it. overall as brought other times I believe those are the trades off of still playing pretty much a shooter from the late nineties.
oKo*CTHULHU
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: cTh

Post by oKo*CTHULHU »

I was wondering what was going on with these grenades. OK thanks.
Camaradas Iks De