com_hunkmegs

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
_Nisa_
User lv3
User lv3
in-game nick: ^Princess

com_hunkmegs

Post by _Nisa_ »

I am an absolute newbie, so please bear with me. I know nothing and I am not too smart either :D

I have read the great topic about settings here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11 and also googled some other info about settings, like http://www.gamesurge.com/pc/hardware/tw ... weak.shtml and http://www.mikemartin.co/gaming_guides/ ... ness_guide

I can't set the com_hunkmegs higher than 77. When I connect to the server, something resets the com_hunkmegs back to 77 even though it was 256 before connecting. I know the game is older than me (17 here) and in the olden times computer RAM was scarce, but today we have 64GB so why not go higher? 8-)

Before connecting to server when I type /com_hunkmegs in console, the program displays com_hunkMegs 256 default 56
But after connecting, the program displays com_hunkMegs 77 (latched 256) which means that the setting has been reset and is only 77 now.

I have something wrong, so please can someone help me set the com_hunkmegs to 256.
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Re: com_hunkmegs

Post by tar »

There are even more settings fixed serverside and due to admins statements the game would not improve if you change those. Furthermore, I also think that a too high setting of com_hunkmegs was one of the reasons why the game was getting worse and worse (input reaction lag) after a few minutes, which I experienced about 2 months ago.
newb.zi (stats · system)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

tar wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 19:32 There are even more settings fixed serverside and due to admins statements the game would not improve if you change those. Furthermore, I also think that a too high setting of com_hunkmegs was one of the reasons why the game was getting worse and worse (input reaction lag) after a few minutes, which I experienced about 2 months ago.
thanks about that mate, correct, that's the answer, that's fixed server side as even if you could set it higher it would only be a waste of memory to play here in the best case since these assets don't require any more memory. as usual generic guides suggest higher values (sometimes even ridiculous values) as they are intended as general usage, i.e. Urban Terror for example which has way bigger textures and assets (maps, sounds, game logic etc) which therefor require more memory (yes typically in the order of that 256 or more megs) but like I said here that's a waste of resources, 77 is the correct value for the server.

besides I also saw you asking for settings and so at the server my suggestion and recommendation to you as the person who built this is that to get started you simply get the files from here (if not done already unfreeze-v1.0-client.zip and unfreeze0-dev-client.pk3) install them (put them in your unfreeze folder where installed your game and after unzip the first file, this is, two pk3 files) and simply try execing the "standard" or "hardcore" embedded preset settings (i.e. \exec standard or \exec hardcore as your prefer in the console) from a reset state (i.e. "delete"/move away your current config) and then go from there tuning the game to your taste (i.e. name, model, visuals etc etc) and hardware (i.e. set your sensitivity, fov, resolution etc etc). I highly doubt that even if you were a skilled veteran you're going to make much more of the game let alone the time it takes to go trough all the settings and so. know that for the most part the "hardcore" settings are based (and therefor very similar) on the ones used by the top players here (ex. newb.zi helped or are influenced by him) so it's definitively the easiest and quickest way to get started.

for the rest, don't worry, feel free to ask if you need help with something in particular.
_Nisa_
User lv3
User lv3
in-game nick: ^Princess

Post by _Nisa_ »

Thanks for the detailed answers. I did as suggested and all is well.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

no problem, also since you brought this topic and to facilitate the things for more people I finally decided to make that UnFreeZe package I've been talking about for so long already and I've just uploaded a new unfreeze-client-full-prerelease.zip package with everything you need (IMPORTANT!!! besides the game itself of course, you still have to put your pak0.pk3 file from your Quake III Arena inside the baseq3 after you extract, unzip, that package, where is the file named "put_your_pak0.pk3_file_here") and then simply double click in one of the provided files (either UnFreeZe1-amd or intel etc) and it will take you directly to the server :D

once there (at the server) just exec standard/hardcore and set as usual. in addition as a last minute addition I also added the command \exec fullhd to the unfreeze-dev-client.pk3 (also reuploaded separately now as usual) file in other to easily load settings for FullHD (i.e. 1920x1080) screen (the most usual now-a-days I guess).

I know it's not the "final" absolute "perfect" (it will never be anyways) I was talking about and that there's still lot left to do (mostly the whole ioQuake 1.33 patch and the documentation, so far I am the documentation currently) but hey it works at least, I've been delaying some sort of release like this for almost half a year already and I believe that things are pretty stable and looking finally good as to at least make this prerelease and then go from there.

anyways I'll write more tomorrow, open a dedicated thread, put details etc etc for today is enough, get it and give it a try (even if you already had the files separetely, it's always good to have a look I guess). remeber, simply download, extract (unzip, right click->extract) and put your pak0.pk3 file inside the baseq3 folder then doble click some of the UnFreeZe batch files and enjoy your stay here :D

unfreeze-client-full-prerelease.zip