Server hangs

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Server hangs

Post by tar »

Mhhhhzli
Attachments
server3.dm_68
(27.44 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
server2.dm_68
(71.44 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
server1.dm_68
(1.66 MiB) Downloaded 11 times
newb.zi (stats · system)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Server hangs

Post by adminless »

yes I've just noticed that myself now while I was reviewing some stuff, that's a follow-up of the well know long standing issue here luckily most of the improvements and fixes so far there kept in place so server should only saturate at "late" nights. after conduct a investigation now about the matter it turns out it has been saturating "unnoticed" typically later for some weeks already, today it just happened to be one of those unlucky days and it saturated before, around 1 in the morning instead of typically after 2 or 3 in the morning. currently situation on UnFreeZe2 looks better, it only saturated once (also around this hour, 1 in the morning) in the last month so is likely that I may re swap them again some time in the future however so far I believe that this host has been proven broken so far and that this is going to be a recurrent thing so I'll start considering the further measures and it's possible that I escalate it instead.

nevertheless thanks to the job currently done this is not any emergency like the previous time, I wouldn't expect the server to saturate at any main time only at late times like this one (and even so like I said typically later than this, today was unlucky, so it shouldn't be a major issue) but I understand the annoyance of this so I'll try to settle this once again.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Server hangs

Post by adminless »

true just noticed that this night server has been saturating (and badly) before 1 am cet times for the second consecutive night in a row, which is totally unacceptable at all and to what I want to express my most sincere apologies to everyone who got his game affected by this (this night as well as any other ones as I know it has been recurrently affecting various players) unfortunately this is more of a cause of force major rather than bad management of any sort or anything else as this is only result of garbage service (scheduling) given by the server company. then truth to be told to make it short is that there's currently not "many" (not even one that I know) alternatives that can match the real over the top server performance (when it doesn't saturate of course) so like it or not, for the good or for the bad, this is something that we're going to have to assume for the long term and to work around with as I had planned more or less.

the truth is that this past whole month I've been testing the escalated version of this server and in comparison it under performed badly (bulky/web a-like performance, even worse than that of this website, so for that I would host it here) and since yesterday's incident I've been digging up every know host company to me and didn't really find anything remarkable unless we would do something really stupid like giving away a company hundred times more money for hundred times more capacity (in the order of 250 or so players) that we are ever going to use (i.e. intended for me to build a small reselling server's store not to really be used as end-user this time), the only alternative that actually exists would be a spare small backup/dev machine I have which meets the requirements to host the server at a reasonable quality only problem is that is not on the same premium location, is actually very well located thought but overall it would mean approximately a 3 or 4 msecs ping increment on average for most people which I understand that is something that we can not afford so I'll just leave that as quick emergency solution and so far we'll just keep working around with these servers the way we do.

then in conclusion as we speak I just swapped again the servers this night after the incident, like I said this is no fixing anything, this is just working around the issue but I hope that at least with this change the server should stop freezing at nights at least for some time although probably in some weeks/months the situation isn't expected to be too different.

well, that's all for now, thanks for your patience and sorry for the inconvenience

PS: ah and remember that this time the swap is "transparent" so you all should not have further problems reaching UnFreeZe1, UnFreeZe2 on the other hand will change from 137.74.199.130 to 51.255.170.73 in case someone wants to access it directly by ip, UnFreeZe1 will remain 217.182.45.102 as usual as well as the usual dns, although keep in mind that dns changes take some time to propagate but since this was carried in the night it should even be good to go tomorrow in the morning (again mostly only affecting old/secondary dns names, not server.unfreeze.ga which will remain), so there should not be issues with this.