Overbounce

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: LisaTheAnn

Overbounce

Post by Lisa_Ann »

Overbounce:

"In Quake III Arena, Overbounce started as an engine "bug" just like Strafe-jumping. Quickly this bug, get known amongst jump mappers and included in defrag maps as a required skill to surpass challenges. Please be noted, that Overbounce removed entirely from Quake Live but still present in all vanilla Q3 alterations as long as conditions are met.

When a player with nullified momentum (0 speed) falls from a certain distance to a flat surface, engine will not pickup whether player should be stopped or not. Instead of taking fall damage and fall momentum coming to a halt, player will thrown at the same exact velocity he fell down back to the air, as if he/she were hit a bounce pad.

For nullified fall momentum to apply to player, performer drops down gently and hug or brush over a wall for their movement speed to hit back to zero. Since diagonal momentum is hard to control, Overbounce performer should prefer leaving self to fall down from ledges perpendicular motion or jump away to hug a girder, any convex corner, pillar or wall in mid-air. Most Overbounce performers prefer customized Heads-Up Displays that has a speed meter for character movement.

Q3DM6, Q3DM7 and Q3DM14 are famous not only for their deathmatch environment but such generous spots where players can perform Overbounce. Overbounce can apply to most vertical ledges as long as player have a flat surface to step on below."

Hello!

My question is, is the overbounce bug possible on the unfreeze server? Sometimes while playing, "the game throws me in some direction" randomly, but I can't control it. In Ioquke3 in defrag mod (the tr1ckhouse-beta3 map around ~55 sec in the video) it works fine, but I managed to use it on the server. Am I stupid, or should I look for the difference in the game? Has anyone here tried this?

In the video, I also use other videos and I will publish their descriptions, I just have to search for them. :> / can find it google--> overbounce video /

Thanks for the reply!

adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Overbounce

Post by adminless »

actually, I'm not sure, I know I added plenty of patches to the UnFreeZe mod (virtually all of significance that I'm aware of, some even allegedly/supposed from quakelive) so I'm not sure if it would have been gone as well with them (likely). anyways whatever the case is I don't really feel like it's necessary to tweak it specifically for it (either to remove it or to reintroduce it) so I guess I'll just let it be either way.
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Lisa_Ann »

Yes, in principle, this bug has already been removed from Quake Live. I wouldn't criticize the game for this either, because it's not such an important thing that you can't do without, I was just curious if anyone tried/used it. I'm relatively new here, I don't know the server history :>.
RH
User lv4
User lv4

Post by RH »

Better explanation with code analysis. I find most overbounce descriptions are overly simplified and filled with incorrect information.

It is not really applicable for anything other than defrag. Overbounce just causes problems in standard play and should be disabled, though I don't know if it is or not in the unfreeze mod. If adminless doesn't even know what patches he has applied then the only thing that could be done is to test it.
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Lisa_Ann »

RH: Thank you!

I used this video in my video! :>

I think the point is that you fall down with 0 ups roughly.

"Please be noted, that Overbounce removed entirely from Quake Live but still present in all vanilla Q3 alterations as long as conditions are met."

so it was deleted from live, but in principle it exists in 1.32 and the game usually drops me when I fall from a rocket jump or from a height, but I can't control this.

I asked to see if there is anyone here with a history of defrags and has tried it. From a game point of view, it's not important for me, but I've always been interested in these glitches / bugs. You can make funny things out of them. :>
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Lisa_Ann »

Here are the other source video: I'm linking them because they might be useful / cicrle jump, strafe etc.. /

First: Genesis - The Beginning Of (Part 1)

adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

I don't recall any specific pmove patches/changes as described there though I believe there's probably more things at play there than just that piece of code that add up as I think that the guy is noting itself. the guy also mention about pmove, frame rate, frame rate dependent physics and probably even the engine itself (beside the qvm) which (all of them) does differ from canon Quake III Arena so I've been trying it now and I believe that it's then probably no possible/gone on UnFreeZe and even some of the other (lesser patched) servers from what I could test.
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Post by fernandinho1337 »

I have overbounces on unfreeze servers once in a while by accident but not as to the extremes you see in the clips above
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: imprecise

Post by imprecise »

same as fernandinho1337
"My ability to concentrate is so short that ... Oh a butterfly !"
oKo*CTHULHU
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: cTh

Post by oKo*CTHULHU »

I think it can be done on the server. I often have the problem of auto-jump when defrosting a teammate. could it be caused by the previously made jump like in the recording, without being aware of the technique?
Camaradas Iks De
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Post by fernandinho1337 »

@oKo yes thats also some kind of overbounce. it feels the same for sure
oKo*CTHULHU
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: cTh

Post by oKo*CTHULHU »

one more reason to jump less :>
Camaradas Iks De
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

btw as a update on this as I was benchmarking the physics these days I finally came across this while benchmarking the plasma climbing on that wall and ran out of ammo and overbounced so I decided to test it further.

so it appears that somehow overbounce is possible at UnFreeZe. I tried various (normal) overbounce moves and for the most part none of them worked however it appears that particular one on that specific spot does somehow work to some extend. the vid is taken at the server to be sure but the same (erratic) behavior is found also locally so it's not a network/server glitch or a glitch with the new changes (tested locally without them). that's good news I guess, now that I can somehow reproduce it (even locally) I guess I'll patch that somehow (let's hope it doesn't break anything else) as well as in that state it's clearly of no use whatsoever and just a source of randomness.
Attachments
ra3map1-overbounce.dm_68
(172.84 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

applied a quick a patch for this now and after a few tests it seems like it did not break anything. it will take effect tomorrow so please let me know if you encounter more overbounces (or any other glitches) and/or if it broke something else.
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Lisa_Ann »

adminless wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 19:44 btw as a update on this as I was benchmarking the physics these days I finally came across this while benchmarking the plasma climbing on that wall and ran out of ammo and overbounced so I decided to test it further.

so it appears that somehow overbounce is possible at UnFreeZe. I tried various (normal) overbounce moves and for the most part none of them worked however it appears that particular one on that specific spot does somehow work to some extend. the vid is taken at the server to be sure but the same (erratic) behavior is found also locally so it's not a network/server glitch or a glitch with the new changes (tested locally without them). that's good news I guess, now that I can somehow reproduce it (even locally) I guess I'll patch that somehow (let's hope it doesn't break anything else) as well as in that state it's clearly of no use whatsoever and just a source of randomness.
Hi!

Until now, as I wrote, it was only completely random. Also, it was reproducible in some places, I fell and shot out in some direction.