plasma wall climb dindt work with 200 fps

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: LisaTheAnn

plasma wall climb dindt work with 200 fps

Post by Lisa_Ann »

Hi everybody! :_)

I havea stange / weird question. I probed the wall climb with plasma ball, but i can't do that in unfreeze server ( only i can go low height and slow down ).

It is usefull in defrag mod. I probed this "trick" in developer mode. With 125 fps, 250 fps, 333 fps, i can made the trick, no problem. But i probed with 200 fps in developer mode also i cant climb up the wall.

The unfrezze server run with 200 fps ( i read it ) and i cant climb up ( for example ) proq3-dm6 map quad chamber down to rocket launcher, but

in FFA server i can climb up any height.

What could be the reason for this?

Thx the answer!

developer mode with 125 fps:

adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: plasma wall climb dindt work with 200 fps

Post by adminless »

as you're noting yourself in your own post, original Quake III Arena physics are frame dependent which is obviously not a acceptable thing to play the game online as it means that one could just use different settings (fps) to obtain different advantages (faster movement, higher jumps, different tricks etc). the UnFreeZe servers have a patch for that that make the physics frame independent so anybody moves the same regardless of the frame rate (at least server side). the downside to that is obviously it gets rid of some of those tricks that specifically depended on that behavior although nevertheless I still added several corrections that bring back the feeling of classic original vq3 feeling for the most part. I guess that being such a specific thing it probably just broke with these settings so I guess that being the case I could probably just add another correction for that (just slighty higher plasma knockback should do the trick I guess).
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Lisa_Ann »

adminless wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:02 as you're noting yourself in your own post, original Quake III Arena physics are frame dependent which is obviously not a acceptable thing to play the game online as it means that one could just use different settings (fps) to obtain different advantages (faster movement, higher jumps, different tricks etc). the UnFreeZe servers have a patch for that that make the physics frame independent so anybody moves the same regardless of the frame rate (at least server side). the downside to that is obviously it gets rid of some of those tricks that specifically depended on that behavior although nevertheless I still added several corrections that bring back the feeling of classic original vq3 feeling for the most part. I guess that being such a specific thing it probably just broke with these settings so I guess that being the case I could probably just add another correction for that (just slighty higher plasma knockback should do the trick I guess).
I understand what you say, and i know it. In FFA unfreeze server ( training maps Q3DM12 )

i can use plasma climb, but

In unfreeze/freefun unfreeze server i cant climb up.

The two servers settings are equal not?

And in single game is very intersting. Climb work with lower fps ( 125 ) and, higher ( i probe 250 and 333 ), but i cant climb up with 200 fsp. I dont udnerstand what is the reason.

It's not an important thing. I'm just wondering why it doesn't work.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

not really the UnFreeZe servers have a lot more patches and changes (as well as testing of course) than the ffa one that was mostly just a training server although the changes shouldn't probably really affect that. overall I tested it now and yes it wasn't even reliable to begin with so I just boosted some the plasma jumping at the ranked server a bit and it seems to be working at least for me now. then give it a try there (fpsclasico.de:27970 or fpsclasico.eu:27970 password is 1234 remember to type it twice) and let me know how you see that now (i.e. if that's too much correction or too few). you can vote maps there and to refresh the plasma you can just switch teams. overall it seems to be taking me around 30 shots now to get to the top of those platforms, it would be good to compare now those values with old good fashioned vq3 values (I tested as well plain vq3 for reference and to be honest it was the same unreliable shit as UnFreeZe without correction so let me know). if that's just fine I can probably just add that tomorrow on the rest of the servers.
Attachments
demo0001.dm_68
(58.67 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
demo0000.dm_68
(42.95 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Lisa_Ann »

adminless wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 15:15 not really the UnFreeZe servers have a lot more patches and changes (as well as testing of course) than the ffa one that was mostly just a training server although the changes shouldn't probably really affect that. overall I tested it now and yes it wasn't even reliable to begin with so I just boosted some the plasma jumping at the ranked server a bit and it seems to be working at least for me now. then give it a try there (fpsclasico.de:27970 or fpsclasico.eu:27970 password is 1234 remember to type it twice) and let me know how you see that now (i.e. if that's too much correction or too few). you can vote maps there and to refresh the plasma you can just switch teams. overall it seems to be taking me around 30 shots now to get to the top of those platforms, it would be good to compare now those values with old good fashioned vq3 values (I tested as well plain vq3 for reference and to be honest it was the same unreliable shit as UnFreeZe without correction so let me know). if that's just fine I can probably just add that tomorrow on the rest of the servers.
Thx the answers!

I probe climbing in server ( fpsclasico.eu:27970 ) nad now i can do it. I made a video compare the climbing up.

It is compare the climbing / shoots . I dont know why there is a difference.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

likely I wasted a few extra shots on the beginning and end of those attempts due subpar input (i.e. pressing/releasing a key/button 100/200 msecs earlier/later, milimeter/micro angle corrections etc) at least on dm6 (I mean, you can even see a failed attempt from me there and on various other tries I was probably closer to the 26/28 range on average I guess, I quoted 30 just to be safe) because on dm12 is pretty much about the same. in that sense it would be a lot more interesting to see how it does actually compare your training/canonical attempts with those at the UnFreeZe Servers for you on average (i.e. giving your same input how the outputs from your training/canonical attempts compare to those at the UnFreeZe servers on average) particularly considering some of the other more complex tricks as well as more maps. anyways, as I see it I think that now should be good enough, I don't think that if the trick goes on 24 or 26 shots instead of 25 does really make any meaningful difference. what probably really matters is that the physics now works as expected so I guess then that should have solved this.

btw I just added it anyways yesterday night to the pubs so that stuff should be working today at the pubs just in case you wanna check it out there too. additionally as for the private server I noticed you had serious trouble with the password. the (public) password is "1234" (without the quotes obviously, that's it, \password 1234 when requested and once in-game enter it a second time to prevent getting dropped due password reset on mod change) not (1234) or "( 12341234 )" or anything else.
oKo*CTHULHU
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: cTh

Post by oKo*CTHULHU »

I was convinced that it cannot be done on public servers. nice tidbit.
Camaradas Iks De
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: imprecise

Post by imprecise »

Bravo for looking into this problem of climbing with the plasma gun Lisa Ann, it's true that with the rocket jump we needed less of this kind of possibility, tricks, but it's very pleasant that it is now operational... :clap:

So thanks to you Lisa Ann and thanks to Adminless for the fixes and for his willingness to improve the game :thumbup:
"My ability to concentrate is so short that ... Oh a butterfly !"
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Lisa_Ann »

oKo*CTHULHU wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 14:02 I was convinced that it cannot be done on public servers. nice tidbit.
Why not? :-) I think plasma climb is similar as rocket jump. It doesn’t matter much, but the gameplay can expand that much.And it is a pleasure for me to deal with the server so correctly. :clap:
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Lisa_Ann »

I actually watched a player named H20 sometimes try this. I asked if he played with the defrag mod. He said yes (Da!: Xd)
I have a friend who has been quaking for a very long time and I asked what you think of my game. Because I told him I was stuck on a level. TOP25 is the best unfreeze server with 1500-1600 points.
I asked about the reason and told me that my configuration sucks. ( 60 HZ ultra wide monitor / 2560x1080 / with 130 FOV, very cheap keyboard and mouse and is use a laptop not desktop PC ).

He told me to replace the monitor with 144Hz and the other components to at least mid-range. He sad the it is causes a big change.

But the hadware not the only thing: He think I play too rigidly, and i know he's right.

So he say buy new config+ mouse etc.. and train circle, strafe and any. I download the defrag mod ( rrrr very hard now to me ), and train my movement. so i ran into this mistake. :-)
oKo*CTHULHU
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: cTh

Post by oKo*CTHULHU »

Yes. I heard that the monitor and internet connection are the most important. the rest of the things like the mouse, keyboard or even headphones can be standard or a little better than the standard. (it depends on your standard.)

I know from experience that the hardware does not have too much influence when it comes to playing on the freezetag unlagged server. while the experience resulting from the time you devoted to the game, individual skills, tactical and situational thinking are the features that make up one whole - skill. aiming is overrated, although very useful. I know what I'm saying, I've been playing for almost two years, now a bit less than I used to, but there is no person on the freezetag that I can't beat. also it is enough to play and think a lot. and if you want a challenge, I suggest you start playing the duel game. there you will learn the meaning of the word difficulty ;DDD
Camaradas Iks De
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

oKo*CTHULHU wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 16:38 Yes. I heard that the monitor and internet connection are the most important. the rest of the things like the mouse, keyboard or even headphones can be standard or a little better than the standard. (it depends on your standard.)

I know from experience that the hardware does not have too much influence when it comes to playing on the freezetag unlagged server. while the experience resulting from the time you devoted to the game, individual skills, tactical and situational thinking are the features that make up one whole - skill. aiming is overrated, although very useful. I know what I'm saying, I've been playing for almost two years, now a bit less than I used to, but there is no person on the freezetag that I can't beat. also it is enough to play and think a lot. and if you want a challenge, I suggest you start playing the duel game. there you will learn the meaning of the word difficulty ;DDD
New monitor for me , took from rank -1000 to -500 so improved lol
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Lisa_Ann »

Hi!

I have a problem.

I probe join to training the server.

I used some different commands :

/connect ranked.fpsclasico.eu:27970 /password 1234

/connect ranked.fpsclasico.de:27970 /password 1234

/connect -4 ranked.fpsclasico.eu:27970 /password 1234

/connect -4 ranked.fpsclasico.de:27970 /password 1234

/connect -6 ranked.fpsclasico.eu:27970 /password 1234

/connect -6 ranked.fpsclasico.de:27970 /password 1234

It say me invalid password.

And i probe connect for a later match, but i cant.

I dont understand where si the problem, i used this /connect ranked.fpsclasico.eu:27970 /password 1234 cooamnd and i was able to join.

I use ioquake with win10.

Thx the help!
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Lisa_Ann »

P.S. : the problem is solved first time iam join only and i see invalid password text, after use passwrod command. :D
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

yes you can probably enter the password before and it should work but just to be safe, the safest, simply enter it "as-is" (like that no quotes no parenthesis no anything else) at the screen that prompts "invalid password". the public password is 1234 as usual some time before the event (typically five minutes before) will be the one on the PM (the one you tried first). once in-game remember to enter that password command again (typically just hitting the up arrow should brought it again) in order to avoid your client losing the pass on connect.