High ping for few minutes

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
Lunya
Unleveled User

High ping for few minutes

Post by Lunya »

Hello!

Sometimes, while I'm ingame a some servers, I get a really high ping (>900ms). I firstly thought windows was downloading an update or a video game was updating, but I now can tell it's not the case and my bandwidth is not even impacted.
This evening I even was able to change of server entry node to avoid the ping problem.
Others players seems mostly not impacted, maybe just one but I'm not sure.
Is that a problem with my ISP or something? Can I do anything against that?

adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: High ping for few minutes

Post by adminless »

if the "kl" routes are kind of broken for you at the moment try connecting to the "ix" routes instead. also try ipv4/ipv6 as they can definitively differ. different routes are provided at all times precisely for that reason as connectivity can change almost from minute to minute. so basically, try some of the the other routes.
Lunya
Unleveled User

Post by Lunya »

Okay! I wasn't aware of the route feature of the servers.
Just for my information, what does ix, lt and kl means?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

ix is from interxion (the datacenter where that route is allocated), kl is from kleyrex (the internet exchange where that route is allocated) and lt is from Lietuva (lithuania where that other spare server is located). IPv4/IPv6 are from the different internet protocol version so in total up to four different routes are provided for each server and they definitively do make a difference. in general terms I believe the IPv4 "ix" route should be the preferred (I mean is the one I regard the de route on the dns and as the "main") though from what I saw may be you can get a bit lower ping through the "kl" IPv4 one although from your screen it looks like may be is not the most stable for you. so basically it all depends and as I said it does change from time to time thus it takes some time to establish a solid pattern and what's "best" it greatly depend on the end point and even on the circumstances. there's no just one "silver bullet" (hence why four different routes are provided I repeat).
Lunya
Unleveled User

Post by Lunya »

As a network programmer, it's quite interesting for me to learn about it.
Thanks for your time!