Mitigate chat and nade spam

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
Lunya
Unleveled User

Mitigate chat and nade spam

Post by Lunya »

Hello,

could it be possible to mitigate chat spam?
For example forbid sending the same message twice in a row.
Or a better solution: forbid sending for 60 seconds any message if 50% of sent messages are the same?

I was thinking about decreasing the number of nades ammos at spawn, and the possibility to increase it during the player's life (like 1 every 15s, with a capped maximum). Is it even possible?
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Mitigate chat and nade spam

Post by adminless »

hello, welcome to the forum

the way to mitigate chat spammers here is just by banning them (from the chat) so I suggest you to report them instead. alternatively if you find the chat just disturbs you you can give a try to the \cg_nochatbeep 1 or \cg_teamchatsonly 1 settings to disable the chat beep or disable the chat completely if you prefer respectively. further server settings are typically both overkill and a waste of time as they tend to be too restrictive and experience tells that whoever is gonna go those lengths to spam the chat will do anyways regardless of the settings (ex. you say that you're gonna limit me to do same msgs over and over?! cool, I'm glad to hear that because that was also getting boring to me then I guess I'll just start by doing aha, oho, ehe, ihi, uhu, ahb, ehb .. over and over instead, aren't you excited now? :D ).

the answer about the grenades settings/spam is pretty much the same (ammo regen probably would even make things worse, more camping and more grenades), they are already cut very short (only eight per spawn) and cut them yet even more it would clearly be overkill (it would be pretty much equivalent to remove the weapon altogether from the game). for the good or the bad (depending on who you ask) grenade spam (to some extend and just eight nades per spawn is a reasonable value) is also part of the game.
Lunya
Unleveled User

Post by Lunya »

Okay, thank you for taking the time to answer me.
Lunya
Unleveled User

Post by Lunya »

Just to be sure, this is not considered as spam, right?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

yes, that's a bit on the high end but clearly unless it becomes a widespread practice and/or a major issue I'm not gonna start chat banning people for dropping some smiles at a public server. that's simply overkill, I mean, yes, if it were in the middle of a competitive top ranked fight I'd agree but that's stuff that can normally happen at a public server. at the end of the day, yes, those are apparently 23 smiles but on how much time? 15 minutes of game? then that's about (close to) your 1-2 times per minute spam rate limit on average, it's not like 23 times in a minute out of context. seriously if you're so disturbed by the chat I'd suggest you once again to disable it on your client (either the \cg_nochatbeep 1 or \cg_teamchatsonly 1) most often than not as it's probably not gonna be of any use to you generally.
Lunya
Unleveled User

Post by Lunya »

I like to joke with people, regardless of their team, so I won't mute all the enemy team just for one person spamming.
I'm just not used to that way of moderation, that's why. I ask to be sure. Now I'm sure 👍