About the possibility of developing Quake 3 Arena (Unfreeze)

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
User avatar
.WTF!P0rsche?!
User lv5
User lv5
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 22:24
in-game nick: .WTF!P0rsche?!
Location: RUSSIA

About the possibility of developing Quake 3 Arena (Unfreeze)

Post by .WTF!P0rsche?! »

The rights to both games (Quake3 and Quake Champions) belong to Microsoft — through a chain of subsidiaries: id Software → Bethesda Softworks → ZeniMax Media → Microsoft.

id Software is the creator and original owner of the Quake series, including Quake III Arena (1999) and Quake Champions (2017).
ZeniMax Media is the parent company of Bethesda and id Software. In 2026, ZeniMax even filed a fresh trademark application for Quake.
playground.ru +1
Microsoft bought ZeniMax Media in March 2021 for $7.5 billion, along with all the studios and franchise rights.

A remaster of the Quake3 game is now possible from Nightdive Studios — hints about an announcement at QuakeCon 2025 have already been made.
(https://www.purexbox.com/news/2025/06/n ... kecon-2025)
(https://www.plusforward.net/post/86700/ ... eCon-2025/)

I believe that a competitive future for Quake 3 lies in the Team Mode (with the Duel Mode being an addition), and it’s quite possible that it will be achieved through an anfriz, through improvements (additions) to the graphics and other aspects: Quake 3 remaster (Quake 3: Resurrected).

In my opinion, the Quake Champions project did not achieve sufficient success to be competitive with CS2, mainly due to the insufficiently high and precise design of the stylistics and design, as well as the lack of formality in the team mode (or the regulation of its gameplay).

Since fpsclassico Unfreeze servers are the most balanced for team gameplay (and this has already been tested over the years, including in the tournament plan), and in view of the great interest of the quake 3 developers in developing this game further, I consider it necessary for the developer company to cooperate with the quake 3 fpsclassico server administration to achieve the best result most desired by consumers (when creating Quake 3 remaster (Quake 3: Resurrected), as well as to get the cutting-edge esports game that many people have been waiting for for decades.

Therefore, I suggest that players and members of the quake game community, esports, and anyone interested in this, write letters with this or a similar proposal to companies (id Software, Bethesda, night-dive-studios, ZeniMax Media, Microsoft) about this:
what is the most appropriate email address, where to write it correctly, I do not know for sure (I’d be interested to hear everyone’s thoughts on the best way to write the letter and where to send it?) , I found these addresses (mail):
press@bethsoft.com
info@bethsoft.com

https://www.highperformr.ai/company/night-dive-studios
https://idsoftware.us/contact/

It would be interesting to know what everyone thinks about this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Prywatne
User lv2
User lv2
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2026 20:01

Re: About the possibility of developing Quake 3 Arena (Unfreeze)

Post by Prywatne »

I’m curious to see how this develops. For now I’ll keep playing the old version. Btw

nickaero
User lv4
User lv4
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 20:40
in-game nick: Sarasti
Location: Portugal

Re: About the possibility of developing Quake 3 Arena (Unfreeze)

Post by nickaero »

What do you even want us to tell the developers?
User avatar
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6537
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 19:05
in-game nick: not available
Location: Spain

Re: About the possibility of developing Quake 3 Arena (Unfreeze)

Post by adminless »

out of those the info@bethsoft.com is probably the most appropriate but as sarasti is putting it, given the current circumstances (massive restructuring at Microsoft of the xbox division), it's very unlikely that they even do something about the whole Quake series (not just Quake III Arena) at all in the short/mid term. matter of fact, recently shocking news just broke that they decommissioned the legendary halo studios that got them where they are now and instead the new halos will now be developed out-house by former competitor activision. in that scene I think it's obvious we're just lucky that the official master server is still running as I commented in other thread. I hope that in the coming months I finally update the provided packages in this site as usual but as said and it's obvious, do not expect any sort of 'new' game, 'remaster' or anything out of that. currently my priority it's maintaining the servers to ensure the service which is in what I had finally been actively working these last days/weeks so I doubt until after the tournament I'll be able to produce another new package.