new fpsclasico client community edition package

UnFreeZe Game Servers News forum.
pepco
User lv2
User lv2

Re: new fpsclasico client community edition package

Post by pepco »

My bad, now it's working :)) It was the app that needed to be moved apparently :O Yeah and I forgot single player works and cfg is created
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

no worries and thanks a lot for your hard work. ok, excellent then I think we're done I believe that we already double-checked/triple-checked this enough. yes, as I said the official right answer for that is code signing+notarizing+official apple app submission/validation/verification (probably plus hundred euros, a couple of contracts in obligation and some other weeks more of setting everything up with dedicated hardware, not gonna happen basically) but apparently just manually moving/copying the app gets rid of that. so basically if all the problem is just "reinstalling" the app (i.e. deleting it, then downloading it again and copying to the base installation again), at least up 10.13.6, then I think I can just deal with that on the documentation/support at this forum at least by now (if now +100 mac users show with the issue then I might consider signing, packaging or anything else, for three or four, at best, mac users so far I don't see it happening). the key was know about it and give it a good test so it can be documented then I think that I'll still do some more researching/verification and then I'll simply leave the app there as-is now (which is the proper way) with a notice and that will be it by now with this.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok guys done, I think that I finally finished (as usual by now) with this new alternative fpsclasico-client-community-edition.zip package so it would be great if some of you give it a try (specially on the newly supported macOS platform) to the finished thing that hopefully will stick at least for some months just in case I missed something. probably on windows/linux nothing really changed from the previous/initial build (though you never know may be I made a mistake) although a readme has been added which I guess is always nice to have anyways. on macOS I finally recompiled everything once again just to be completely (to a sensible standard) sure and after further binary digging/research I also added macOS Snow Leopard compatibility (again 64 bits PC, aka "Intel", only support) as well as improved SDL compatibility just in case someone else wanna run the binary with its custom (or system) SDL library rather than the provided precompiled one. as for the apple App Translocation issue and other (potential) gatekeeper issues I added a clear statement on the readme so it would be good to have a read at it as well as a small patch to detect it so instead of getting a "random" error out of nowhere you should get a proper error statement if for some reason the app runs translocated. finally I decided to leave the mac binaries alone and don't include them on the package as after further reading is my understanding that the app should work (or at least be capable of work) "as-is" on pretty much any (again 64 bits PC) 2010+ macOS. anyways as usual all the individual files will always be available on the ftp as well as better sorted on the files tab of the forum. ok, that's it for now, I think this should make it for a alternative "fail-safe" (well actually main on macOS) package in the next days I hope I re-write a little the main download thread about it and that should be it if I haven't missed anything of significance. thanks to everybody who gave it a try.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

as a update here letting you know that finally this week I built this package also for Android 7.0 (Nougat and onward) devices (both PC as well as arm based and both 32 or 64 bits) like phones and tablets for example as it should have ever been since the beginning. I mean if the absence of a macOS version with a few percent of the site traffic share was very questionable already the lack of a Android build with a 40%-50% of traffic share of the site on a daily basis was a total disgrace without question at all so I think that it's like a great addition. anyways, don't get your hopes high with this (not at least so far) as there's various caveats and overall probably for other than watching demos/benchmarking your device and messing around here and there the game is not playable at all on let's say your phone. matter of fact, although so far it's allowed on the app (the app is exactly a uncut version of the desktop version) please do not use it to connect to UnFreeZe1/2 and be that dummy guy there trashing the game that adds nothing. if I spot, or get reported that dummies are at the main servers because of this, you may end up getting banned altogether not just on your phone or if the problem gets a large scale I then may cut the app which I don't wanna do (at least initially, I'll have to think about it as usual) as it may be fully functional/playable for some (ex. a Android TV or a Chromebook I guess), I just don't know so far. as usual, it's ok if someone is just curious and wanna try connecting to the main servers for a few minutes, but that's it, then leave don't stay there being that dummy. if someone wanna just mess around with this the best shot is probably the single player (likely reduce the bot strength) or online the training servers that are there precisely for that.

ok, that's enough for the context/warning, now when it comes to the download/installation/caveats and so is as follows next. first you have it available for download here so to install it you first must download that apk file on your device and then open it. as usual you may need set your device to allow for installing files from "unknown" (to google) sources, anyways to be honest from what I tested this step seems to be less annoying than on other systems (say Windows/macOS). once installed the app again as with the desktop version you have to install the game. in this case the app is just a standalone binary/executable (well actually on android they are libraries instead but that doesn't even matter here) so it comes with absolutely no data whatsoever meaning you have to manually install it yourself. one of the caveats of the android version is that per design of that system you can not just run the game from whatever you want and make it "portable" as on the desktop versions so unfortunately this means that the final game data installation location is fixed to the route /Android/data/de.fpsclasico.sdlioq3a/files which is usually at your internal storage. then essentially that means that once you installed the app you just need to run it, then it will just error out (due lack of installed files) and it will initialize its storage space at /Android/data/de.fpsclasico.sdlioq3a/files on your internal storage space where you need to copy your baseq3 folder (that you can perfectly take from the package on this thread fpsclasico-client-community-edition.zip) and put your original pak0.pk3 inside it and your done to run Quake III Arena on your android 7.0 (and onward) device.

now the important (mayor) caveat is that unfortunately there's no (meaningful) touch controls. I mean, you can still navigate the menus (keeping your finger on the screen as touching the screen gets passed as a click so far) and the back button is mapped to the esc key so it should at least be enough to play some demos or connect to some gtv server to spectate a match from your phone for example but other than that is obvious you can not do anything else like that. this is intended instead to be played with physical input devices like a gamepad or keyboard&mouse as on your regular desktop installation although unfortunately your mileage with this option may vary greatly from device to device and from system to system so take it with a grain of salt. so far I test it on a standard 2016 8.1 tablet and the thing was at least "functional" for the most part although as you can guess it was hardly playable (low frame rate/choppy gameplay and heavy ghosting) so it would be awesome if you give it a try and let me know how it did for you. my feelings are that probably this should be best for android tv's and specially on Chromebooks who's market share is highly on the rise. anyways btw in case you don't know the requirements for keyboard and mouse support started on Android 8.0 (Oreo) and there's basically two approaches to "connect" your current physical keyboard and mouse to your phone/tablet. the first and most obvious is via Bluetooth if your devices support that interface of course if not the other one is via a usb on-the-go and usb hub combo and the same goes for a gamepad (though gamepad support on android probably dates before 8.0 and doesn't require you a hub obviously).

finally just for a one-time payment of 25 US dollars (gross 21.29 euros net) this time I'll give it a shot and I'll see if I can get it into the app store somehow on some open beta testing track or something though considering the caveats and the overall setup probably some years ago it would have passed without problem but by 2021 google app policies/standards I think that the number of reasons why they can turn it down is so disproportionate that it would blow the human mind thus I see it highly unlikely. I mean, they can reject it starting from the icon, going through the screenshots or the usability to just the whole concept altogether. anyways at that price tag I think it's worth the cost give it a try at least as that would be ideal to distribute/maintaining it here if not is not big deal either as nevertheless I don't plan to rely (primarily) on third parties to distribute fpsclasico files so even if it gets there I'll continue to distribute here all the same and for the most part the target audience is here so other than that (mere convenience) there's really no other benefits from getting it published it. anyways, as usual, I'll keep you updated if something interesting happens here until then I think that that's it with this.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok, it got approved 'as-is', app is live on the app store as of now, excellent. I guess that you can look it up yourself on your device store now as 'sdlioq3a' (which are the parts of the app a stock ioQuake3 engine on top of a SDL library built for Android 7.0+) or if not simply on this direct link here so whoever checked the previous file please better get it from the official platform provider as it's a lot more convenient. well, I know that there's still a couple of things to work out on that build (I mean, it's on a beta testing track for a reason) but I think that then this finally should settle this and bring official Android support for this at least for now.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

adminless wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 14:58 ok, it got approved 'as-is', app is live on the app store as of now, excellent. I guess that you can look it up yourself on your device store now as 'sdlioq3a' (which are the parts of the app a stock ioQuake3 engine on top of a SDL library built for Android 7.0+) or if not simply on this direct link here so whoever checked the previous file please better get it from the official platform provider as it's a lot more convenient. well, I know that there's still a couple of things to work out on that build (I mean, it's on a beta testing track for a reason) but I think that then this finally should settle this and bring official Android support for this at least for now.
Dude please explain to old pacman what this all means?

I know what the client is but what's it got to do with Android?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

that I got it (the client) built for Android systems too this week and today approved and published by google on the official app store of that platform as the 'sdlioq3a' app you can look up on your device store right now or directly access at the link provided (sdlioq3a client at the app store). so it means just what I said that as we speak this makes the game here compatible (not yet really "playable" but at least functional to some extend) with Android devices that represent probably well above the 50% of the computing (tecno alike) market share nowadays. said other way, that as we speak you can now install the game on the smartphone you're using to write on the forum to for example watch the demos posted here or even if you attach a physical input device like a gamepad or a key/trackpad play a few casual games (I repeat don't be that guy that connects without controls to a main server and that pisses everybody off and that I have to end up banning because sure I will, stick to the single player/training servers, at least initially please). additionally with the Android market on the rise this also means that this should also reach exotic systems that lack native support through a Android emulator for example. in that regard is specially relevant that this build finally adds support for arm based computers (both 32 bits as well as 64 bits) which seems to be the standard towards the industry is gonna be shifting (best current real world example apple) in the coming decade. that's not even to mention about the visibility this gives towards the game so all in all as I said I think that there will still be some things to polish but overall a great addition.
9ll Belarus
User lv4
User lv4

Post by 9ll Belarus »

'sdlioq3a' app
I can`t find it in store. I have Android 6
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

unlucky, checked now and it's live as it was, as said at least Android 7.0 (Nougat) is required therefor the store (adequately) hide apps that are not compatible with your device. in practice this should result on pretty much almost any 2015+ android device being supported. even if I could still probably build this for lesser targets I highly doubt it would do any good on those devices. I mean, keep in mind that the assets installation alone takes close to a gigabyte of internal storage and that a graphic card is necessary. it's my understanding that most of the pre-2015 android devices don't meet those requirements. anyways just for the record on what device were you trying to install it?
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: imprecise

Post by imprecise »

Hi Adminless

you're a madman :crazy: , you never stop working :geek: , what's the next step you're going to add force feedback, or turn the game into virtual reality ... that said it can be nice to connect 5 minutes to say hello (expect abuse) and in addition to the forum for demos ... I will therefore test this to see ... out of curiosity to tell the truth ... anyway thank you very much for all the work you do for the Quake III community, you are awesome :clap:

My Phone
Samsung galaxy a20e
model SM-A202F / DS
One UI version 2.0
Android 10 version

I was on the google play store I searched for sdlioq3a and found your sdlioq3a app (early access) by adminless

I launched the installation, no problem, then I opened to run it and I got the message you mentioned, namely :

I have been seeing in Android/data/de.fpsclasico.sdlioq3a/files/ that I have twice, once on the phone and once on the storage card.

after the install I have a crashlog.txt file in Phone\Android\data\de.fpsclasico.sdlioq3a\files\unfreeze and no baseq3 folder created

in Card\Android\data\de.fpsclasico.sdlioq3a\files\unfreeze where there is nothing

I created a baseq3 folder in which I copy the pak0.pk3 file for the two above-mentioned paths

but when I run the app again I get the crashlog message that appears

so for me it doesn't work, please tell me if i missed / forgot something

thank you in advance
Attachments
crashlog.txt
(583 Bytes) Downloaded 20 times
"My ability to concentrate is so short that ... Oh a butterfly !"
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

easy, I guess, you have to install the full baseq3 folder from fpsclasico-client-community-edition.zip not just the pak0.pk3 after that I guess that it should work. in other words it should look like {/storage/emulated/0}/Android/data/de.fpsclasico.sdlioq3a/files/baseq3/pak0.pk3,pak1.pk3 etc and {/storage/emulated/0}/Android/data/de.fpsclasico.sdlioq3a/files/unfreeze/crashlog.txt,ioq3config.cfg etc. the quoted part likely will translate into the internal storage of your device, you get both routes as I guess that it's possible to move a app into the "external" storage (I quote it because there are several external storage definitions) being understood as the "sdcard" (physical). btw that's the hell of a phone that should be a ideal target for that build, I expect that to be near playable there, give it a try and let me know.
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5

Post by imprecise »

I have copied the entire baseq3 folder from fpsclasico-client-community-edition.zip to Phone\Android\data\de.fpsclasico.sdlioq3a\files\

and I deleted the de.fpsclasico.sdlioq3a folder from Storage Card\Android\data\

and it works, I was able to connect to ctf and freefun,

after quit the game a Card\Android\data\de.fpsclasico.sdlioq3a\files folder has been re-created but it does not contain anything

it's a bit difficult to use for menu selections, I couldn't find how to open the chat or the console,

I will hope to find a .cfg file in unfreeze folder but there is nothing other than the crashlog.txt file so for now I am unable to modify any setup parameter such as name or sensitivity or the model, etc ...

I was also unable to switch the game to horizontal mode, because in vertical I find that it is too small / tight ...

would you have a solution?
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5

Post by imprecise »

uh sorry after refreshing the phone I found the ioq3config.cfg file in Phone\Android\data\de.fpsclasico.sdlioq3a\files\unfreeze so I can modify the .cfg file to write my player name, etc...

I still have the gameplay to test and if possible have access to the console
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

thanks for give it a try and I'm glad to hear that it worked. as I said for other than basic navigation through the menus (the back key acts as the keyboard escape key) there's no touch control support. I might considering adding basic support for the on-screen keyboard (so you can at least chat for example) once tested everything and known to work but at the moment that's not my priority and it's not even really the purpose of this. so to "play" the game you need some physical input, that's it, you need to attach your physical keyboard and mouse (with what you're writing this) to your phone. your phone supports usb otg so you need a usb otg adapter for that and a usb hub in case your keyboard&mouse isn't a rf combo (if your keyboard&mouse is a rf combo then just plug it directly to the otg). usb otg adapters are pretty much available "everywhere" (i.e. auchan) at something like 3 or 4 euros and as well it will also allow you to attach usb pen drives for example (though NOT regular hard drives btw don't mess with that). as for the orientation thing, there's currently no re-orientation support after the start-up initialization so simply make sure to start-up the app on landscape mode and then everything will work from there. anyways, by now I think that you should at least be able to watch demos on your device as well as spectate matches, I suppose with those specs you should get a decent +100 fps. likely if you setup the input it should be playable I guess.
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5

Post by imprecise »

no worries for the escape key of the telephone it works

on the training server I have between 75 and 100 fps

you say you could consider adding basic support for the onscreen keyboard (so we can at least chat for example) it would surely be nice and fun to be able to connect from your phone to say hi on the servers , but at the same time I am afraid of seeing players connecting and disconnecting inadvertently or staying in spectator mode, which can be a problem if the server is full ...

Adding a touch control support for in-game movement disturbs me just the idea of ​​seeing players tempted to fight against each other, one with his smartphone or tablet and the other with a PC Gamer quality and a large screen it will be very unbalanced

I unfortunately did not manage to find the portrait / landscape function on my phone, I nevertheless looked for it I swear it ... it is done automatically for some app or the messaging, etc ...

Thank you for your help and for all this work, a big bravo :clap: :thumbup: