new fpsclasico client community edition package

UnFreeZe Game Servers News forum.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

new fpsclasico client community edition package

Post by adminless »

ok guys just letting you know that following this year revision (still not yet finished but so far) of the provided client/package I just finished pushing a new alternative fpsclasico-client-community-edition.zip package also in tune with the "main" one (i.e. just download the thing, extract it, put your pak0.pk3 inside the baseq3 folder and you're ready to go). thing is like a couple of seasons ago I had tried to create some alternative "stock"/reference 64 bit builds to have just in case exactly for that, as reference, alternative, fail-safe and so but unfortunately I probably tried to be too "ambitious" and the thing was also probably not so good so I got lost in the details (as well as other more important tasks) and the thing ended up by not materializing and ultimately I dropped it entirely. however this time I gave that a spin and hopefully this time the alternative "stock" newer 64 bits builds ended up materializing on the package I just posted.

then, I'll still regard the regular ioq3v6-unfreeze something package as the "main" one here, at least for some time, in the middle term, but probably in the long term (i.e. in a couple of years) very likely that will become the regular and "main" package here. consequently is very important that people start getting and using that package too (you can have both installed they are independent) and giving some feedback about it. so far all those kind of builds either were broken or were just not that good (in comparison) however luckily this time I think that they came out pretty good, if not even better overall, to be honest. essentially I've been testing that package for a couple of days now and basically it should be just the same thing, same feeling, but on much newer, community updated code and on 64 bit architecture, definitively looks like the way to go. the change to 64 bits is definitively a must have on the long run, probably on windows not as critical though welcomed anyways, but on linux (which is also largely used here) 32 bit code is almost completely phased out by now-a-days standards so this package now integrates a lot better into most well known distributions (basically this should work out-of-the-box now on any linux, I mean, it only depends on glibc and SDL2, just your screensaver requires that) specially on minimalist kind of distros. that's not even to mention that any modern/coming compiler efforts and optimizations will obviously only come up for 64 bit code.

so as usual I'd appreciate if now some of you could give that package a try and let me know how it did for you or if I messed it up somewhere.
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: imprecise

Re: new fpsclasico client community edition package

Post by imprecise »

hi Adminless

I just tested the new alternative fpsclasico-client-community-edition.zip package

my config: Intel Core i7-4770K processor CPU / RAM 8 GB / 64-bit operating system, x64 processor / Graphic card Nvidia 770 GTX / Windows 10 Family Version 1909 Operating system version 18363.1316

Unzipped and installed in C:\fpsclasico-client-community-edition Pak0.pk3 added

on the first execution of ioquake3.x86_64.exe I allowed ioquake3.x86_64 to be executed anyway when BitDefender asked me then I had a windows notification that I had never had before and which I did referred to this page https://docs.microsoft.com/fr-fr/window ... -antivirus i waited 10 seconds and ioquake3.x86_64 ran successfully

After a first connection to Spacius and some settings in the setup (movement, teamoverlay) then disconnection, an unfreeze folder has been created in C:\fpsclasico-client-community-edition it contains only ioq3config.cfg with the modifications (movement, teamoverlay) made previously. An ioq3config.cfg file was also created in baseq3 but the modifications made are not present there.

launching the ioquake3.x86_64.exe application is faster than with ioq3v6-intel.exe or the other q3.exe

Alt+Enter function which works fine with ioq3v6-intel.exe does not work with ioquake3.x86_64.exe

the Alt+Tab function does not allow to switch between the windows, quake being in full screen since the Alt+Enter function does not work

impossible to access the console via the usual key which is the same as in my previous configs, and therefore impossible to modify anything during the game and impossible to execute the release.cfg file which allows to switch between the windows with the F5 key

In terms of graphics, sounds, connection I did not find any problems, I had no lag, I was at 200 fps in r_mode 17

I attach my config file generated by ioquake3.x86_64 and a short demo file which will perhaps allow you to note something that I would not have seen

the no access to the console is very problematic I find

I remain at your disposal for other tests if necessary

Cheers
Attachments
arch01.PNG
test-ioq3.x86_64.dm_68
(306.16 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
ioq3config.cfg
(7.39 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
"My ability to concentrate is so short that ... Oh a butterfly !"
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

imprecise wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 21:47In terms of graphics, sounds, connection I did not find any problems, I had no lag, I was at 200 fps in r_mode 17
that's good then test passed, that's my deciding factor, I mean, I'm not saying that none of the other things matter, they sure do but they can, and they probably will, be worked out. however if the original feeling of the game isn't there then there's nothing else left to do so it's great that I think that finally these new builds capture the original feeling of the game and actually do work reasonably well performance wise.

for the rest, yes, it looks like Microsoft gets more and more creative each time with unknown software, funny is that I rarely get any warning with the old builds which are much more old and ancient code. anyways just like with the old build I guess that it will go away as the package gain some reputation. yes, the folder setup is different with the "main" installment in a effort to provide "maximum" compatibility with people mixing files as well as with other systems so that's normal. true, I also noticed that for whatever the reason is (a updated zlib library as well as pk3 optimizations I guess) load times are absurdly fast, I mean, like one frame. I know, it's funny these newer community builds are even more broken on that regard than the "legacy" (original) ones. anyways as I said that's not a critical thing and that can probably be worked out in one way or another (be it a quick basic script or more properly). anyways as I saw so far these come with a new, \minimize, command to do just that, minimize the q3, so probably just do \bind F5 minimize (or any other key) should address that by now. the problem with the console is that apparently I think these have support for unicode and international keyboards or something like that break the original keycodes which ultimately break the console. for that reason on almost any ioquake3 build I have knowledge of the console is hardcoded to the shift+esc combination which should be supported on any keyboard.

so give a try at that and let me know. thanks for testing it out and the feedback.
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: imprecise

Post by imprecise »

I confirm that in terms of performance it looks faster / efficient and that apart from the aforementioned small problems everything seems to have worked perfectly

for the windows security warning that was triggered this is probably related to the fact that it is a software in 64 bits version

the Alt+Tab function now works correctly in full screen and allows you to switch from one window to another

I did not manage to make a bind myself that works correctly for the minimize command

I put the release.cfg file in the C:\fpsclasico-client-community-edition\unfreeze folder then I made a /exec release.cfg in the console which was executed then I tried F5 I resulted in mouse and sounds deactivated but I remained in full screen, pressing F5 again reactivated the mouse and sounds and I am still in full screen.

the fact of not being able to minimize / maximize the game is not more serious than that immediately from the moment or Alt+Tab works, on the other hand I find the console access via Shift+Esc very annoying for my use and reading the chat

the combination of the Shift+Esc keys opens and closes the console (less practical than the usual single key because when you quickly do Shift+Esc a second time, most of the time it makes a simple Esc which sends to the setup and you must cancel with Esc before redoing Shift+Esc to close the console)

I made a bind w "toggleconsole" which opens the console to test, it works however I always have to do Shift+Esc to close the console

I think like you that it must be linked to a keyboard / conversion problem

good luck for the future, it looks promising
"My ability to concentrate is so short that ... Oh a butterfly !"
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

sure, don't worry, as I said, I stuck to those builds clearly for a reason so as long as they still work (and likely 32 bit code support won't be completely removed in this decade, at least on Windows) I won't drop the regular ioq3v6 builds/package. just as I said, nevertheless I think that it's also good to have/provide another alternative newer installment just in case looking forward continuity and more options of service. thanks for feedback.
pepco
User lv2
User lv2

Post by pepco »

Hi there! Just adding my 2 cents ... I tried the new package and it looks fine (I didn't test online). Just two things I noticed compared to ioq3v6: com_framelimiter vq3 doesn't work, and more important the mouse feels a bit off (actually it feels like regular ioquake3, but I prefer ioq3v6) .
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

I know, again that's why I stuck to good old fashioned ioq3 builds all this time and as I said, why probably I'll keep providing/patching them as necessary. yes, these newer builds use SDL instead of directly access the sub-level routines which can be sub-optimal. however, mileage probably will greatly vary depending on the installment/hardware, for example at the time being for me they feel pretty much the same, so I think that it's good (virtually mandatory) to have other more "stock" and modern builds at hand anyways for reference and also these ones have the advantage that are lot easier to install on linux for the less technical guys. anyways as I said, don't worry, it's not like I'm looking forward drop support for the well know package, matter of fact, this is just a alternative package and I probably still regard the ioq3v6 one as the "main" one. as for the com_framelimiter, no, at the moment I didn't "lock" these builds here on this new package so far (I don't see the need so far, once and if they catch popularity, people start coming with broken cfg, shitty settings and so then I probably will lock it the same way but so far let's just leave it stock), so by now you're just free to set any com_maxfps value you want on these ones (ex. \com_maxfps 125 is the same as the locked com_framelimiter vq3 setting on ioq3v6). thanks for testing it out and the feedback.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok guys just letting you know that finally I added support for Mac OS X now (supposedly from 10.7 "Lion" onward) to this package (fpsclasico-client-community-edition.zip) so it would be awesome if some of the (few) mac users here could give it a try and let me know if it worked. unfortunately I couldn't test it though I installed the whole tool-set and compiler without further problems and everything compiled just fine besides I also checked some documentation and I think I know this code relatively well so my overall understanding is that should work. regardless, it would be great to actually know it for a fact. as mentioned that should (supposedly) run on any Mac OS X version mayor or equal to 10.7 (a.k.a. "Lion") and it only targets 64 bit PC based cpus (i.e. 64 bit intel macs, no support for 32 bit or PowerPC based macs). btw about the 64 bit architecture code topic here and how important this package can potentially be note that as I was mentioning just early about major providers on the process of completely phasing out 32 bit code support I was socked to find out before as I was checking documentation for the mac build that no other than apple have already dropped 32 bit code support on its products altogether since the 10.15, "Catalina", version which hit the stores like a year ago. that will effectively make any new mac products incompatible with the official Quake III Arena installment by "normal" means (i.e. natively not in a virtualized environment) and to be honest, I haven't look it up but probably there's no many other (quality) alternatives out there to keep running the game on a mac so I think that it would be great if we could pull this off.
pepco
User lv2
User lv2

Post by pepco »

I can try it out if that helps, although just for testing as I play on linux mostly. I'll let you know if I see any problems or inconvenience
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

good that would be great, if for some reason the app doesn't work, I'm almost completely sure executing the binary itself on console (ioquake3-osx.x86_64) should most definitively will. if the app does work it would be good to know if then the other binaries can be removed (ioquake3-osx.x86_64, libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib and baseq3/qagamex86_64.dylib) and it will work regardless. my understanding is that it should, I dropped those just in case and well in case someone wanted to do "fancy" stuff with them. anyways, also to be safe I also built a stock libSDL2-2.0.so.0 now that I bundle with the package just in case someone distro doesn't have SDL2 or it's broken/fail-safe. I've been testing it for some time now and, ok, it doesn't feel one hundred percent as good as old ioq3v6 does, but very very close, at least to me. so may be you wanna give a try and see if it does better and/or how it does compared to the one bundled on your distro. to use it either preload it or add it to the library search path (ex. LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./ioquake3-lnx.x86_64).
pepco
User lv2
User lv2

Post by pepco »

The app crashes at the start and I get a "send crash report to apple". When I try to launch it on the terminal I get this message:
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/macos/Downloads/fpsclasico-client-community-edition/ioquake3-osx.x86_64
Reason: image not found
Abort trap: 6
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

sounds easy to solve, try manually copying the provided library, libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib, to /usr/local/lib so it will find it. thank you for give it a spin.
pepco
User lv2
User lv2

Post by pepco »

Referenced from: /Users/macos/Downloads/fpsclasico-client-community-edition/ioquake3-osx.x86_64
Reason: Incompatible library version: ioquake3-osx.x86_64 requires version 15.0.0 or later, but libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib provides version 9.0.0
Abort trap: 6
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

mmmm ok, that's that then I probably messed it up with some of the compilation versions, I'll look it up further and will let you know, thank you for the valuable feedback. in the mean time, could you try if with a stock SDL library actually works? (replace the one that came with the package with that one and probably you can as well place it on /usr/local/lib too)
pepco
User lv2
User lv2

Post by pepco »

Nope I still get this
Reason: Incompatible library version: ioquake3-osx.x86_64 requires version 15.0.0 or later, but libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib provides version 9.0.0
Abort trap: 6.
As a side note, idk if that is meaningful, but i tried sometimes ago to install ioq3 from github and it worked.