User's Guides & Help forum.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

New player lag

Post by PacMan »

Hi not sure if it's lag or just some other kind of freezing

Why do we freeze up for few seconds when some new players enter the game ?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: New player lag

Post by adminless »

I guess more guys can back up this but I've been closely monitoring/using the server for more than a month already following your last complain here and beside the few minor incidents reported there, that got addressed right on the spot, I neither found nor experience myself any other lag so I don't really know. from what you're saying and giving the fact that you're establishing yourself a casual relationship between a new connection and observed "lag" on your client I think is fair to assume that is a issue on your end. sound to me that most likely you're playing without forced models on a relatively old/heavy loaded computer which lead to a assets access latency spike when your game request the new player model, sounds and related files.

"modern" computers should handle all that on the fly virtually unnoticeable at all, at least I know my 2017 low/mid-range office laptop as well as most ssd powered up others do, but I also know that back in the day it was a very common well know issue. to address that Quake III Arena came with the client setting \cg_deferPlayers 1 to defer the load of these client assets until either you die or hit the scoreboard bind. additionally playing with force models (ex. \cg_forceModel 3) should also probably get rid of that issue completely. so give a try to any of that and let me know if it helped.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

Ok dude thanks , I did think it was my issue yes , I think I have forced model on anyway

What's the defer players thing what and how do I set it to
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

if you're forcing models already, initially, I think that you should be done, but anyways if just to be safe you want to defer models too all you have to do is just type, \cg_deferPlayers 1, once in-game.