new ctfclasico server

Quake III Arena classic game servers forum.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: new ctfclasico server

Post by adminless »

aimer1 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 23:54 Thanks for putting up a new server! As a hard core fan of ctf, i really appreciate it.

Just had a couple of games and it seems the server only cycles between ctf1 and ctf4 at the moment.
If i may, i'd suggest adding q3tourney6_ctf and q3ctf2 too in the map rotation as they are quite popular too (and possibly remove bfg from ctf4).

From my experience, CTF players have been using OSP + 3wave maps since it was released and that's the standard on many other CTF servers so it's safe to say that if you want to make it popular you can easily attract (new) players by adding OSP and some extra maps without the need to enable autodownload.

If you, instead, want to have casual players with just a basic Q3 installation (like on Unfreeze), i'd suggest removing ctf4 completely as those players also don't like falling into the void (same reason why dm17/18 are not in the Unfreeze rotation i guess).

If OSP was added i can see pickup games being organised in Glacius style too :-)
ok, back on topic, yes agree with that, that's the idea for the most part. unless I missed something that should be done now. yes initially I had only added q3ctf1/q3ctf4 as that generally is the most popular and fitting for the expected small games to start this up but sure as you suggested I just dropped yesterday q3tourney6_ctf and q3ctf2. in addition to complete the basic rotation I also dropped q3ctf3 this morning, better just not assume anything and simply start from the whole thing and as problems arises then cut/replace some of those if necessary. yes, you right I had missed to remove the bfg from the game, that should be done now too.

for the rest I patched the server display at the other forum tab (now you can view the server full status) as well as the cfg/settings issue for people running broken and/or custom installations (for which there's no further support). finally yesterday at night I added unlagged mod support and patched/configured what was left and with that then this should be good to go at least for that, to get started in the short/middle term with a solid inside ctf server here at fpsclasico. I tested it so far and I think that it came out good and probably it could even be considered kind of "mainstream" server already as we speak.

for the future I'm gonna be looking forward adding those still missing features as well as adjusting it/customizing it as necessary and as for the rotation, I believe that probably the best shot is go in between the main server and glacius as is on the masters server for example. probably I think I'll let the standard maps to run generally and then as meetings and/or requests take place I'll start dropping top tier custom maps. but anyways, like I said that's looking forward the future, that would require a new client release and that kind of stuff, by now that's it with this server. so as usual, just give it a try and feel free to share here any thoughts you have about it.

have fun guys
aimer
User lv4
User lv4

Post by aimer »

Great, thanks for your work, will give it another go this weekend :-)
Dr.GreenThumb
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: Dr.GreenThumb

Post by Dr.GreenThumb »

Thanks adminless, excellent work :clap:

Just last night I connected to have a little "bot-fun", ended up playing with four other random joiners I have not seen on the Unfreeze servers before. Later on another few games with five regular unfreezers :D ...pretty amazing, considering how long the server has been online.

I guess we are all hungry for some good ol' CTF! :mrgreen:
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: imprecise

Post by imprecise »

hi adminless

I have a suggestion for the pages https://master.fpsclasico.de/ and https://master.fpsclasico.de/other/ it would be to put "main / ctf and other" or "main / other (ctf, ...) on the link at the top right of the page itself and maybe increase the font size of "main / other" a little bit to make the next page link more visible to everyone in order to attract more players to the ctf, because I think that some did not even notice this link to other and therefore to ctf...

bravo and thank you very much for all this work that you do for our pleasure :clap: :thumbup:

greetings
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

yes true those pages are very old from times when 1024x768 (or even lower) was the dominant webpage resolution. yes they look kind of tiny in modern browsers. ok, I just increased the font size now, clear your browser cache and let me know how you see it now.
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: imprecise

Post by imprecise »

:thumbup: the modification of main (UnFreeZe, duel) / other (ctf) is impeccable, much more readable, so players will immediately see the link to the ctf server

:clap: bravo for your responsiveness, and thank you again for all that you do for us, you are great Adminless

greetings
The Undead
User lv4
User lv4

Post by The Undead »

adminless wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 17:35 I don't offer support for other files but yes the custom models pak was supposed to replace the unfreeze provided one and yes I know most often than not those custom files are either broken or sub-par. also to the best of my knowledge I believe the problem you're experiencing is that you get all greens when you fall on the blue team, to fix that you need the "\cg_forceskin 0" command (to get your enemies red instead).
Is there any possibility that you upload somewhere in your ftp a couple of last revisions of 20.4 before the final ZIP please ? because you tell that you don't offer support for other files but I never had to use that custom zzz-models.pk3 before.
Before upgrading to the final 20.4 zip that you recommended to me, I was able to see green flashy ennemies without always turning 1 or 0 forceskin, also my team was always perfect (blue or red but not flashy), and also the chat typing didn't had the big fonts issue.
I really would like to bring back one of the previous revisions zzz-models.pk3 that you included into one ot the revisions to avoid those problems, because personally I'm not able to aim perfectly enemies now when they are red flashy (ok its always better than nothing but I much prefer green flashy for enemies only and not confound anymore my team with enemies).
Unfortunately if I knew that, I really loved to make a backup of this file first, but never expected this to be happened :(
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

not really, the few changes that I made to the 20.4 package were never related with the new flashy models, there was never different versions of the provided zzz-models.pk3 file. my best guess is that you still miss-installed or miss-configured something, look, for reference I attach you here how the official provided models should look like. I think that's as visible as it can get so if yours aren't looking like that then you're doing something wrong. for reference a typical configuration will include the following: the provided zzz-models.pk3 file inside the unfreeze folder (and nothing else model related), model, headmodel, team_model and team_headmodel set to anything of your choice, enemy_model and enemy_headmodel typically set to keel (or anything else) and cg_forceskin 1 and cg_frocemodel 3. so please ensure that your game is set like that and that as mentioned you don't have other files interfering with that. additionally you can just give it a try at trying the full complete unmodified package from another location as-is. hope that helps.
Attachments
shot0002.jpg
The Undead
User lv4
User lv4

Post by The Undead »

Ok thank you very much, I'll check this
...jutuli...
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: ...jutuli...

Post by ...jutuli... »

I would use this thread for a question about green enemies as well. I have then green enemies as on the picture, but if an enemy is on darker place (corridor, corner, basement or so), he is also in much darker green color. Sometimes I have a problem to recognize if it is an enemy or not. I tried some changes in config (vertex lights, dynamic lights and so on) and there is no change. When I use classic Q3, I have them in flashy green everywhere. Is there any command in config to change that?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

true, I'll patch (it's not really a "patch" since is really how the game is really supposed to work so I'll change) that stuff for v20.5 then. expect that stuff soon, by now \r_vertexlight 1 is your best shot.
...jutuli...
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: ...jutuli...

Post by ...jutuli... »

OK, thanks a lot. And yes, I have already vertexlight 1.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok, done, I'll publish this stuff (along other things) better on a proper new package and all that as usual hopefully within some days or so but by now you can just get this new ioq3v6-lfix.exe (put it just where the other ioq3v6 files are) and let me know if that fixes the models dynamic light issue. that's the same exact regular ioq3v6 v20.4 build but with a new variable r_fixedlight to make the models lighting fixed to a particular value. it defaults to 152 as that seems the best compromise to me, higher values although possible they likely over expose and make the brain/eyes hurt after a while (i.e. they just too bright, stupidly bright imo) and negative values simply give back normal lighting. feel free to adjust it to your liking.

this is essentially a light cheat as like I said that's (dynamic model lights) how the game is supposed to work but given the fact that plenty of people either intentionally (hacks/mods) or unintentionally (bugs) are gonna be doing similar stuff I think it's the most fair option to add that.
Attachments
shot0000.jpg