Quake III Arena UnFreeZe Client 2020.4 edition

UnFreeZe Game Servers News forum.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Quake III Arena UnFreeZe Client 2020.4 edition

Post by adminless »

ok guys, with some delay but finally I made it to that "new" ioq3v6 UnFreeZe client package containing everything I was talking about for months here. the estimated release time for this was probably around this past 2019 Christmas so well after all it was "only" just a couple of months late. unfortunately as we could see there was plenty of other things that required more attention during this time. well, without further redo the download link for it is as follows: as usual just download, extract whatever you want, don't forget to put your pak0.pk3 file under the baseq3 folder, accept the "unknown" software warning (if any, click on "More info") and enjoy. I've tested it (and produced it) with a up-to 2020 Fedora 29 (linux) system and a up to date Windows 10 1909 so I believe that it should work just as good for you. and to be honest, really, that's it, keep reading the brief info about this release of course, but, I don't really think that you should really require any further instructions/support about it. it should just work as is (at least that's the "expectation" hahaha).

ok, so in short, what's new about this package compared to the previous 19.2 one? beside the usual minor patches and the 2020 updated production environment, which are already on their own important things, mostly two things, support for the inside masters server and it now comes with a collection of the best custom maps ever, included.

with the first now this makes the inside masters server kind of (quasi) "mainstream" and this client, from now on wards, actually the "recommended" and only supported one here to play there. not that is by any means perfect but compared with the legacy one it's definitely an immense improvement. now this sever should show up at the in-game browser as a "ufcomp" type of server (check attached screen) so now you can connect to it from there just like you do to any of the other ones. in addition notice that I replaced the original punk buster field with one showing up the location of the route so now there will be no more confusion when picking up one of the servers. that was tremendously important with the previous "low-latency" routes where they were located relatively far from each other and there was a major difference when picking one or another. now with the new shorted infrastructure is probably not that important, though is always something good to know. the routes are named n1 and n2 in-game, their "canonical" names are nbg1 and nbg2 and they correspond with the ".de" and ".eu" respectively routes (both ipv4 and ipv6, you have them resolved almost "everywhere"). the generic advice is typically go for n1 unless there's issues with it and/or n2 provides better connectivity (and the sames goes for ipv6 over ipv4 btw) however like I've just said, even if you mess it up now it shouldn't be much of a problem.

another important change introduced by this has been that now I defaulted the models to forced as they are kind of "critical" for the duels and this also means the introduction of the enemy_model and enemy_headmodel client variables to control it so this is a change to the previous behavior (where I had re-used the model/headmodel variables for the enemy, they are now taken on duels, anyways in reality is even simpler this way). in addition about the models I also make a now stupidly visible skin mod in tune with that of other custom well know UnFreeZe mods and dropped the openarena mature pack just for fun. if someone just prefer the things stock or is put off by these visuals you can simply get back to normal by removing the accordingly named pk3 files inside the package.

now the package contains the full collection of well know custom maps that run on some of the extra servers here pre-installed and in addition I made them into a (almost entire) single player campaign. to even the number of tiers I dropped pro-nodm9 in addition to all the already known ones. I personally think that it turned pretty good and I must even say that I had lot of fun with it. I believe that it added great value to the package and it even bring a great element of re-play-ability to the game beside it should serve to introduce people to the maps. anyways as with the models if someone wants to get back the standard single players all he has to do is simply delete the accordingly named pk3 file. ok, for reference the added tiers now looks like this:
  • the basics tier: ospdm6 ospdm2 ospdm1 ospdm8
  • the classics tier: mrcq3t4 pro-q3tourney7 overkill hub3tourney1
  • the "quakelive" tier: phantq3dm1_rev pro-dcmap7 focal_p132 hektik_b3
  • the "masters" (a.k.a. duels) tier: hub3aeroq3 qxtourney1 pukka3tourney2 ztn3tourney1
  • the remix tier: 7++ 6++ bloodcovenant pro-nodm9
also added to the single player server has been the g_baseq3 client variable. it defaults to 1 and with a value of 0 it now gives the UnFreeZe rule sets/physics. the single player is probably better player with original canon vq3 setting but anyways it's still interesting for those that want to rehearse/prepare for the battle and/or just for fun. the previous float vectors variables and related added on the dev version has been removed, this is now the proper solution to that. also for those a bit more advanced wanting to debug the physics and polish his game the cg_drawspeed client variable has been added. with a value of 1 you can now see your speed.

for the rest, like I said, just the usual minor fixes/changes here and there, probably nothing worth discussing about it. the only thing of significance is mention that in order to prevent issues with other installations (either of other mods/engines or even of previous official UnFreeZe ones) I renamed the standard "q3config.cfg" as "ufconfig-2004.cfg" as cfg/settings collisions has been a recurrent issue, for so long. this should ensure that now everybody get a fresh start and not that they launch the game and it crashes (or simply works sub-par) due wrong settings so keep that name change in mind when updating your cfg. there's also added "com_framelimiter" client variable now to limit your frame rate for those with lesser computers but that's probably less important for the general public.

and that's it, I still have to update the server clean database with these new files but I won't probably look up into that until tomorrow or so (meaning by now you'll get unclean status, no big deal I guess) when this has been tested a bit more. for the rest it should be done so just go and grab it and let me know if something doesn't work as it should.

have fun
Attachments
shot0000.jpg
Dr.GreenThumb
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: Dr.GreenThumb

Re: Quake III Arena UnFreeZe Client 2020.4 edition

Post by Dr.GreenThumb »

Woohoo! :clap:

Seems to be working great for me. More extensive testing tonight! :D 8-)

Thanks very much!!
WhoAmI
User lv4
User lv4

Post by WhoAmI »

I would like to test, but I don't see "Masters" on the server list.

"I can't open the file on the main server, thaw it, because with these files I get a message about "unclean files"

Not added to the list of legal files?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

hehe no not yet sorry, I didn't have time to add them, that will be tomorrow though by now the masters server should work for you, rare thing. it's particularly important that you raise the topic as I was thinking about launching that rematch with miroslav we had talked about now that this new version came out and is finally compatible with the masters server and you got the lte going. so I don't know, are you really sure that you're using one of the ioq3v6 binaries provided? it should just show up as posted on the screen. mmmm wait no I know, problem is that you still running on the custom mod probably. do this, extract the package to your desktop or a new folder but to a different separate clean place and then wipe out your personal folder. explicitly, manually remove "c:\users\<enter your username here>\appdata\roaming\quake3" (or rename it to something else) and then run the ioq3v6-lowend.exe for example from this new clean installation.
WhoAmI
User lv4
User lv4

Post by WhoAmI »

Fine. I created a new folder with Quake and added everything from the file ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.4.zip. It works. Masters is on the list. It wasn't that I was using a custom mod. I use unfreeze mod + zzz-odipak. Entering the game, click mods -> unfreeze and then /exec WTF.cfg. In the unfreeze file I have both zzz-models and zzz-odi-pak. My list looked like this https://files.fm/u/wvp3vev7. It wasn't just Masters. Glacius is. I just re-paste the whole file into a clean Quake folder and it works.

I'm a little sad because I can't use my WTF.cfg or the unfreeze / zzz-odi-pak mod on "Masters". I thought it could be used just like on the main unfreeze servers. For this I will need OSP. Unfortunately, I have not configured the OSP because I had a problem with the smoothness of the game using OSP. The game didn't run smoothly, it got stuck very much. I can't play when everything crashes. On unfreeze / zzz-odi-pak, everything works fine and smoothly.

As I mentioned before, I can't run the game via ioq3v6-lowend https://files.fm/u/xbs3bm5k
I recently turned it on by quake3e.x64. It also doesn't work now https://files.fm/u/za4cynv9#/
It's probably the fault of the drivers. I reinstalled all and it didn't help.
I can only start the game using quake3e

We can repeat the duel. LTE works okay. However, although T-Mobile currently works better than Lajtmobile (in the evening there are overloads. Then I turn on T-mobile)

Good news. I talked to the company that puts on the optical fiber. They said that if the current situation does not bother them, then in 3-4 months I should have optical fiber. I wonder if it's true :)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

that's exactly what I was talking about, the unfreeze mod plus the odi pack is, indeed, a custom mod as the odi pack is a customization to my mod, hence all the mess. yeah I know, work like shit is the standard for osp, there's nothing you can do about it, that's exactly how is expected to work. to me, osp is among the worst mods ever. mmmm yes looks like some graphic problem. if you know how to launch the game from a terminal or from a shortcut it would be interesting to see if by starting with r_fullscreen 0 it works. another parameters to check would be r_colorbits, r_texturebits, r_stencilbits, r_depthbits (with values typically 8, 16, 24, 32) thought I have no idea about the particular values for your hardware. you can also try to disable smp (r_smp 0). if you don't even know about how to do it you can just edit the cfg. ultimately you can even run the mod with another engine (provided that you don't mix it with other stuff, just drop there the quake binary that works for you) and it will work at the masters server.

ah cool then I'll start a thread at the tournaments sub-forum for a rematch, I was going to do that today but as you may guess I'm completely mess up testing/trying this so i'll do just tomorrow or so. now I go update the engine with portable code so people doesn't have to figure out where his cfg is (testing that as we speak) and to update the database later.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok done, tested and uploaded now the updated ioq3v6 files with the patched paths to make them independent and portable. this means that now you can just move away the unzipped "ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.4" folder anywhere else, included to another computer, and get everything going. apparently I had thought about adding that feature but looks like I forgot and it's quite obvious that it's totally necessary. now with this installation there should be no more conflict with other installations and there's should no more people asking where his screenshots/demos or whatever the game wrote is as it should be just under where they double clicked the game. no more weird paths and no more time wasted figuring out stuff plus this should even be safer.

I didn't really expect to have to say this but let's make it clear. you don't have to copy these files anywhere else, neither you need to copy any other files into it beside the original Quake III Arena pak0.pk3 containing the Quake III Arena game itself into the baseq3 directory of course. that's all, the package it's supposed to run as is right from the path where it was extracted just by double clicking any of the ioq3v6 binaries and accepting the "unknown" software warning (if any, just click on "More info" and "Run anyway").

well, done, it's not the biggest change but I think that it's a important change anyways so please those that already got the files I think that probably the simplest way is just to download the entire a package ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.4.zip again and start over. for the rest I go update the clean database now, hopefully tomorrow these files will get clean status, let me know if some one still has some issues and if not I believe that this then should be done.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

btw whoami I looked up now to your ioq3v6 engine issue failing to even start and compile it with lesser cpu settings. I'd appreciate if you get the ioq3v6-legacy.exe and qagame-legacy.dll files, drop them at your clean ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.4.zip installation and let me know if with those now it starts at least. since if it does I may drop them into the package too in case it may also help others.
WhoAmI
User lv4
User lv4

Post by WhoAmI »

ioq3v6 - not working, error.
ioq3v6- lowend - not working, error.
quake3e.x64 - not working, error.
quake3e - works, but skins do not work on the "Masters" server. zzz-odipak also does not work on the "Masters" server. My cfg doesn't work either.
ioq3v6-legacy - works. In addition, on the "Masters" server I have green skins + pink headcolor. I am surprised. Running through quake3e skins do not work on the "Masters" server. I will need OSP but then the game doesn't run smoothly. By running through ioq3v6-legacy character skins work (green keel + pink head) Also some default cfg is loaded. Right click jump, color changing crosshairs etc. Loading my cfg, the game freezes and I can't run anymore :)

Can unfreeze mod and zzz-odipak work on the "Masters" server like on glacius, unfreeze, freefun?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

I know, the "regular" versions were not expected to work for you but the legacy one I just posted does so thanks for report added to the package now then. easy then, apparently you still have a 2005-2010 cpu, a Pentium 4 equivalent. unfortunately I wan't expecting that such cpu would even boot fifteen years later let alone be stable and function normally, specially in a gaming computer. yes, those binaries were incompatible with that cpu, corrected on the legacy version. ok, for reference then the cpu support of the different versions should be as follow:
  • legacy versions: 2005-2010 cpu's (ex. Pentium 4/Athlon 64)
  • lowend versions: 2010-2015 cpu's (ex. Intel Atom/AMD low-power APU)
  • regular versions: generic 2015-2020 cpu's (ex. AMD FX)
  • intel versions: intel 2015-2020 cpu's (ex. 45nm Intel Core)
about your cfg issue I don't know but as you can see that's exactly why I always say that is so important to start from a clean installation. probably your best shot for that is simply rebuild it from there because as you can see the UnFreeZe mod comes preconfigured for the most part so it shouldn't take much effort get the game to your liking. if you need help about something in particular don't hesitate to ask me. btw on the masters server know that a com_framelimiter variable value of vq3 is recommended, don't forget that (just there on the regular servers a value of 0 is better suited). ok, then I guess that now with this and the lte you should get a more fair chance to fight Miroslav so I'll proceed later with opening that re-match thread at the tournaments sub-forum.

as for that odi pak, no, I'm not odi, I don't waste my time fixing other people files. I mean, what's the point in that? I think that you'll probably get much better results by running the tested installation I provided you (ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.4.zip) and spend a few time in configuring it to your liking. trust me on that mate, you're not going to get anything out of that crappy pk3 other than wasting everybody's time.

btw it would also be helpful if you could check if the single player works for you when running the legacy binary and let me know about it.
WhoAmI
User lv4
User lv4

Post by WhoAmI »

I only used zzz-odipak.pk3 because it has very bright models (green and pink head color). zzz-models.pk3 had red on opponent and green on ally. I couldn't play with that red color. Bad visibility. I used to play OSP before. One day, the OSP on my computer started to crash very much. To this day I don't know why. Formatting the computer did not help. I had fps drops, the whole game crashed and along with my minilags I couldn't play without problems.
After many attempts I finally downloaded zzz-odipak.pk3 and the game runs smoothly and the models are very visible. But today I started the game using ioq3v6-legacy. I didn't have this file before. Now I see bright models in unfreeze mod. One more problem remained. After loading CFG the game went crazy and I have to turn it off. My CFG causes an error that destroys the game by ioq3v6-legacy. There are probably variables in my file (config) that don't work properly.

Yes, I still have an old processor. I haven't bought a new computer set yet.
As the market situation stabilizes, I will buy a new one. And then my problems will end. I hope.
My processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (2010 year)

Single player works.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok, excellent thank you very much for test this out and get back to me. as for the cfg, well if you want you can attach it here (or hit me by pm if you prefer) and I'll try to clean it up for you. I bet that very likely is some wrong r_mode variable or some other one similar. unlucky, you were right on the verge between the legacy and the lowend build. anyways that cpu is way better than what I had expected, the game should work properly now I guess then.