Why does it take a VPN to connect to this site/server?

Computing Support forum.
Zealot
User lv3
User lv3

Why does it take a VPN to connect to this site/server?

Post by Zealot »

I can't connect to the server. The forum. The stats page. All it does is timeout. What changed?

Why does it take a VPN for me to do so? Even then, certain countries are still filtered(blocked?)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Why does it take a VPN to connect to this site/server?

Post by adminless »

??? to my knowledge from the logs you were connecting from the well known DTAG (Deutsche Telekom) network which as far as I know unless I made some horrible mistake or something really exceptional happened is definitively not filtered so probably it wasn't the server that changed, it was you (perhaps you changed your isp to some dirty network that is or I also noticed you played with vpn/proxies and that triggered immediate measures as that's a extremely serious incident that should never ever under any circumstance take place. I can't tell for sure, I would need more data like from what network you're connecting. you can send me that info at the contact page if you want and I'll look into that).

as for the rest, yes obviously they are, what did you expect? I'm not joking around, my sole duty here is to ensure that the average ping server never goes above 50 under any circumstance as well as ensure a acceptable network quality at all times and to keep the bad guys away, no matter when and no matter what, and I won't run away from my responsibility. consequently, I'll do whatever I legally can in a effort to attempt to fulfill (just a attempt as I'll never be able to completely fulfill) my duty. therefore, of course, more than four billion humans from the whole south american and asian and pacific zones, more than eighty million vpn/proxies and even several notable gsm old networks are completely disallowed here for real as you can see, this is no joke.
Zealot
User lv3
User lv3

Post by Zealot »

All I did was move to another country. Please don't imply I'm doing or have done anything 'dirty'.
adminless wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 15:33 as for the rest, yes obviously they are, what did you expect? I'm not joking around, my sole duty here is to ensure that the average ping server never goes above 50 under any circumstance as well as ensure a acceptable network quality at all times and to keep the bad guys away, no matter when and no matter what, and I won't run away from my responsibility.
What did I expect? In 20 years this is the first server I've seen that discriminates against location. So I certainly didn't expect to be punished for living outside of Europe. Fuck me, right?

Your whole tone in this is way out of line. I asked a simple question and you went off on some rant about your crusade to protect the server from the unsullied. While we're on the subject, what is gained from blocking the website from players outside of Europe?! It's a website! Not the server! You make no sense!
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

I don't, I just said that without more details, "I can't tell for sure", so that's it, it wasn't a server issue, it was simply that apparently you moved into a location where the server is unavailable.

well, I think I addressed that other times, things aren't like they used to be 20 years ago, yes in the early 2000's (i.e. 20 years ago) most parts of south america where really either underdeveloped countries or very early in development where they couldn't really sustain a gaming scene (as is for example the case of Africa or al-Fallujah for example now-a-days where by the way let me remind you that the server is actually available) and probably a server like this could be handy. then now fast forward 20 years later the fact is that this region has finally around this decade archive full development status. technology, quality of life, conditions of living and everything in places like Chile or Uruguay don't fall behind places like Portugal or Ellada any more consequently, it's not discrimination, it's simply common sense. they have all the means and technology necessary to develop and sustain their own gaming scene and even if they opt to not, they still have better access to the north american region. there's no need for them to go play to Europe, that's no good for them and that ain't good for us either, I think that the servers are pretty much crowded already plus adding more people from a excess of 6000 km of network wire will only contribute to hurt the server image as a bad pinger which would actually kill it in no time.

the Asian and pacific regions are probably a bit different but a bit of the same also, I don't think that places like Japan or the People's Republic of China need access to a server like this, I mean it's not that they aren't developed countries themselves, it's that they are in fact top technology providers themselves, I'm way sure they have much better ways of technological enjoyment on their region than coming here. anyways all this is a well know fact for already a long time, it's nothing new, this policy was adopted like two years ago after the raise of popularity lead to have various players from these regions that one way or another hurt the game performance and enjoyment.

as for the final question, it's quite obvious too, isn't it? to avoid discussions like this, I mean, if the servers aren't available there, what's the point of offering some web services for something they can not even use? that first is a tease and would only make matters worse and second it would almost with total certainty lead to recurrent discussions like this one every now and then.

so well, don't know as you're a veteran member perhaps and I remark only perhaps out of respect for that exceptionally I could add a exception for you if you provide me with your connection data (so far I've just seen a almost private vpn that I won't mind if you continue to use it as long as I don't detect any other activity from it) if it doesn't cause me much headache.
Zealot
User lv3
User lv3

Post by Zealot »

I e-mailed you about a week ago. What else do you need from me?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

I know the past Friday in the morning and by that day in the afternoon I had already answered you, didn't you receive my reply? did you check on your spam folder?? (btw that last one also applies to the guys asking me why they can't register a new account, check on your spam folder for the verification email, as well as for the replies)

ok, as you're contacting me now again I'll understand that the fix didn't work out, I just made some corrections now then let me know here if you want for example (although still check your mail as it contained more information) if it still doesn't work.

but anyways now looking at this know that your direct ping to the server is gonna be probably around 260 ms which is higher than your actual one, so for other than usability, don't get your hopes too high (and btw 260 is a like a very good ping already for that location).
Zealot
User lv3
User lv3

Post by Zealot »

The IP you added an exception for was the one I was using via VPN, so that's why it didn't work. The IP I sent in the original e-mail is my real IP.

Ping isn't everything; I'm looking for something more stable, which I think I'll have without a VPN.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

Zealot wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 13:29 The IP you added an exception for was the one I was using via VPN, so that's why it didn't work.
ok and how exactly are you planning on back up such a statement? look I also know what you're telling me now so stop making unfounded speculations as it's not really helping.

btw have you actually read the part on my answer to your contact where I talked about your foreign dns servers that weren't going to work or you just assumed that you already knew that better too?

anyways try connecting via direct ip to the server (\connect 85.10.197.106) and if that doesn't work either then first re-check your ip (what is my ip) and re-send it again to me and I'll check it (it's likely that you send me the wrong ip or something else, did my answer to your contact make sense or you don't know that either?).
Zealot
User lv3
User lv3

Post by Zealot »

Edit: Thought it was working, but it's not.
Edit 2: It works after all. Hooray, thanks!