Glacius Maps

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
champi
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: Champi

Re: Glacius Maps

Post by champi »

adminless wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 21:26 well that among many other things. I wrote it way too many times already, the auto download thing in this game was designed for a internet era and context that doesn't even exist/apply anymore and it's completely obsolete/doesn't even make any sense by any 2010+ standards let alone by (almost) 2025, more than 25 years later. that's the way it's. yes, yes, don't worry that I had understood you. beside the well known packages and map packs you have linked all the individual maps available for download at the forum links. I believe almost everybody around here already knows that. beside every time I add a new map I also post it here (just like that poq3dm5 above). I know, the thing with the "complete" package (yes, "complete" package as you wrote) is that is obviously only complete at the time of posting not 2-3 years in the future. so yeah of course it happens often that people download such complete package and completely forget about the issue, then maps get added/removed just as requested here and then they blame it in the now "complete" package as you write. again, it's the way it's, people need to be up to date with what's going on in one way or another.
Isn't there a way to modern clients download directly from FTP though ? https://ioquake3.org/the-site/httpftp-d ... direction/

Sadly non q3e/ioquake3 users will get the 10kb/s ridiculous vanilla download speed 🤣

I still understand keeping autodownload off for security reasons. I've said all I had to say , rest is up to you 💡
Last edited by champi on Tue May 14, 2024 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

champi wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 21:36
adminless wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 21:26 well that among many other things. I wrote it way too many times already, the auto download thing in this game was designed for a internet era and context that doesn't even exist/apply anymore and it's completely obsolete/doesn't even make any sense by any 2010+ standards let alone by (almost) 2025, more than 25 years later. that's the way it's. yes, yes, don't worry that I had understood you. beside the well known packages and map packs you have linked all the individual maps available for download at the forum links. I believe almost everybody around here already knows that. beside every time I add a new map I also post it here (just like that poq3dm5 above). I know, the thing with the "complete" package (yes, "complete" package as you wrote) is that is obviously only complete at the time of posting not 2-3 years in the future. so yeah of course it happens often that people download such complete package and completely forget about the issue, then maps get added/removed just as requested here and then they blame it in the now "complete" package as you write. again, it's the way it's, people need to be up to date with what's going on in one way or another.
Isn't there a way to modern clients download directly from FTP though ? https://ioquake3.org/the-site/httpftp-d ... direction/

Sadly non q3e/ioquake3 users will get the 10kb/s ridiculous vanilla download speed 🤣

I still understand keeping autodownload off for security reasons. I've said I had to say , rest is up to you 💡
Lol I don't think anonymous is interested in unfriz
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

the bandwidth limitation, among many other things, always was and generally is in the game protocol not in the client connection. the main issue with downloading stuff in a game just like that is that is not secure as you don't really know what you're downloading (the client just blindly takes any crap the admin feels like to put in the client, like viruses, trojans, backdoors, rasomware etc etc whatever you just eat it like a champ with a "pro" look in your face) so it can perfectly break your game (i.e. the admin files can perfectly be incompatible with the rest of your files or just don't work for you, there are neither assurance nor even testing) to make it simple and I think that has already been explained a ton of times already. that's a unacceptable online practice at least since the late 2000's let alone by 2025 so it comes to the end users alone to know/chose what they download and install themselves not to any third party. a game is a game and a file/content distributor is a file/content distributor and they are different things that must remain well separated and difference. a game can not act as a third party file distributor in the "background" just like that. that could be ok back in the nineties when only qualified parties really had access to hosting services and the internet reach was a lot smaller and relevant but that's not a acceptable practice in the industry anymore when now any actor can have access to any provider services and the internet has become a completely global and virtually critical service.
champi
User lv4
User lv4

Post by champi »

Actually I can 100% agree with you , I've seen it happen far too many times in the North American scene.

Hence the "security reasons".
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

I know that's what I was talking about. I do not do auto downloading in any of my game servers and I strongly advise everybody against doing either client side (i.e. when playing at other servers) for that reason. in the best of cases you'll just spend a entire evening figuring out how to fix your game after some random files completely messed up your game. that is not ok and I'm not gonna waste my time in any of that.
champi
User lv4
User lv4

Post by champi »

Yeah I've been around the block for long enough and even been victim of such thing , it was a malicious pk3 that allowed admins of said community insert commands into client games , feature that was used maliciously even during tournaments lol.
But you've been on this business for what? 8 years? I've only been here for 1 year and I haven't seen anything that would make me doubt your integrity as a community leader , if you have this many people in your community it means people have faith in you and your servers. I doubt anyone non malicious
( shitheads always find a reason to complain and boycott ) would think twice before downloading files from your server. I still agree with your policy of keeping autodownload off though , but I doubt someone with as much history as you would risk jeopardizing what you've built in 8 years ( maybe longer ) with malicious files.

Anyway I'm finally home , i'll go play some now :mrgreen:
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

adminless wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 22:06 the bandwidth limitation, among many other things, always was and generally is in the game protocol not in the client connection. the main issue with downloading stuff in a game just like that is that is not secure as you don't really know what you're downloading (the client just blindly takes any crap the admin feels like to put in the client, like viruses, trojans, backdoors, rasomware etc etc whatever you just eat it like a champ with a "pro" look in your face) so it can perfectly break your game (i.e. the admin files can perfectly be incompatible with the rest of your files or just don't work for you, there are neither assurance nor even testing) to make it simple and I think that has already been explained a ton of times already. that's a unacceptable online practice at least since the late 2000's let alone by 2025 so it comes to the end users alone to know/chose what they download and install themselves not to any third party. a game is a game and a file/content distributor is a file/content distributor and they are different things that must remain well separated and difference. a game can not act as a third party file distributor in the "background" just like that. that could be ok back in the nineties when only qualified parties really had access to hosting services and the internet reach was a lot smaller and relevant but that's not a acceptable practice in the industry anymore when now any actor can have access to any provider services and the internet has become a completely global and virtually critical service.
Yeah cool

I guess I do remember so many maps I never used to have , and would just download them manually, so yeah if you really want to play it download it
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

obviously, but still, when something is phased out for a virtually unlimited number of solid reasons you just don't use it all the same and I think I have made clear that and why plenty of times already.
champi
User lv4
User lv4

Post by champi »

I wasn't here so I didn't know but I agree about the security reasons , distribution of Malware etc
Karen
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Karen »

True?! 🔥 😊
(I have actually never expected Fortnite to be more fun than Glaccy...)