Add ospra3map1 to Glacius map pool

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
pks
User lv3
User lv3

Add ospra3map1 to Glacius map pool

Post by pks »

Hi!

I have fond memories of playing this map 20 years ago in CPMA Clan Arena: https://lvlworld.com/review/id:1485
On some server the map was on 24/7.

It would be great to add this map to the special Glacius map pool (after adding items that is ... which I lack the skills to do). I do realize this is a bold request, but at the very least it would be great to know what the community thinks about this classic map.

Thanks!

^6p^6k^6s
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Add ospra3map1 to Glacius map pool

Post by adminless »

I know along with ra3map4 and ra3map11 (aka overkill) there were plenty of dedicated 24/7 servers back in the ra3 era. btw both (original) maps are included on the packages (ra3map1 and ra3map4 along the regular dm version of ra3map11, overkill, of course) and you can play them solo with the \exec training1 and \exec training2 script commands although without items. additionally they also ran online here on these servers as training spare ones although they finally ended up being replaced by the ctf and the ffa ones for good obvious reasons. as for featuring them on glacius, maybe at some point I could give them a try although as you can understand that's not really a priority and I'm not even sure they are really any good for this mode (not to mention there's already 20+ maps just on the competitive pool),
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Post by fernandinho1337 »

some very puristic rocket arena would also be nice for a change. did play it quite a bit. i like the idea of different arenas and ppl playing simultaneously on different "maps"/arenas. also the king of the hill like style in rocket arena duel was great :-) those memories! :-)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

I know Rocket Arena 3 was huge back in the day (early 2000's) unfortunately by the late 2000's it was completely wasted/obsolete and it ultimately was replaced by quakelive that back then was free so it just couldn't even compete/compare which totally killed it for good. so now like fifteen years later there's probably no much point in running it not to mention the lack of any lag compensation, the ludicrous required download among many other things of the era that just doesn't keep up. as said, I still kept at least the most remarkable maps of that (ra3map1/4 beside the dm version of ra3map11 of course) within the mod as (single player) training arenas and even ran them online (for over a year I think) which just didn't work out (zero players, doesn't even compare to the ctf let alone the ffa server) so I guess that probably for other than may be given them a play at some some event or some glacius setup here and there (at some point, as said, not a priority) I wouldn't really expect anything else.

overall those are as well huge thirty players easily maps which is another downside for them here. anyways, just for the sake, as it's pretty much useless (i.e. empty), I still ran one such old fashioned (not really but the closet thing to it) Rocket Arena 3 alike server on quakelive here at fpsclasico.de on port 27968 that feature all those classic ra3maps in case you wanna check it out.
pks
User lv3
User lv3

Post by pks »

Yeah, I also really like the "arenas" feature, you could play clan arena on the big map and switch to 1v1 w/o switching servers. The tiny 1v1 map of ra3map1 was also my favorite.