WolfcamQL with 1.32 demo file issues

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: LisaTheAnn

WolfcamQL with 1.32 demo file issues

Post by Lisa_Ann »

Hi!

I wasn't particularly interested until now, but after seeing that adminless id uses wolfcamQL, I have to ask how you set it up so that there are no shader errors (in Quake Live, there are usually advertisements or the Quake logo here)?

I searched the internet and found this:

You'll need:

A hex editor (I use XV132.
GTK Radiant (I use version 1.5, which can easily be found by a quick Google search).
Q3MAP2 (an older version is shipped with Radiant, but it's best to use the latest version, found HERE).
quakelivedec. There is a batch script about halfway down that page, so use that for multiple pk3s.
Any program capable of creating zip archives (winRAR is probably best, though).
That's pretty much it, aside from Quake 3 and Quake Live, obviously.

Does anyone here have such converted maps?
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4

Re: WolfcamQL with 1.32 demo file issues

Post by Lisa_Ann »

adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

you just need to drop there the Quake III Arena packs and mods (i.e. just your actual installation here) and put the quake live pak on top of that like zzzz-pak0.pk3 or something and then that should pick it up. I mean, at least that's how I did it.
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Lisa_Ann »

maybe a stupid question, but what is zzzz-pak0.pk3 ? :-)

Wolfcamql didn't work for me with plain quake3 pak0.pk3, I use quake live pak00.pk3.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

zzzz-pak0.pk3 is just quake live pak00.pk3 renamed to zzzz-pak0.pk3 or anything else that finish last in alphabetical order.
RH
User lv4
User lv4

Post by RH »

There is a post about how to get it working with a really basic set up for q3a in the q3a discord pinned under help. I highly recommend just looking for this to save yourself some trouble.

If you don't want to read that, the short of it is that having both the q3 pk3 files and the ql pk3 files causes shader conflicts and this breaks a lot of graphics on demo playback. An easy solution is just to use ONLY the ql pk3 files and then have modified pk3s with the q3 data you need like textures, maps and gibs.

If you have never modified a pk3 file before, its just a glorified zip file. Using something purpose built like pakscape is fine, but I think 7zip or winrar will modify them.

In my wolfcam 12.5 folder under wolfcam-ql, I have the pak00.pk3 from QL and then one extra pk3 made by a community member that includes the q3 bsp files (maps), a few gfx files related to blood, the models for gibs, one shader for bleeding (I think this is the screen effect), and the sounds for gibs.

Honestly the big advantages for wolfcam are fast forward and rewind, ability to swap POV (though not for full game because of missing data), and some of the video file output options. If you don't need those, then I would not recommend wolfcam over just watching demos with ioq3 or q3e. If fast forward is the game changer, just make binds for timescale 50 and timescale 1. I don't even use wolfcam for all my 10-30s clips I post on discord because q3e is just easier to work with for that. I mostly only use it if I need to do something with a QL demo, or if I need to pov swap to verify if some one was cheating (though not everyone has this skill set).
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Lisa_Ann »

Hey RH!

Thx the answer! Unfortunately I can't try many things, because I downgraded my hardver. I need the worst details, if I have the 200 fps...
I liked making wolf videos and working with graphics, that's why I used wolfcamql.