Duel Server Mod Issues

Quake III Arena classic game servers forum.
RH
User lv4
User lv4

Duel Server Mod Issues

Post by RH »

This is mostly for adminless.

So I play a little bit if I see people on the fpsclasico duel server. NOT MASTERS. The one that is unlagged and not running OSP.

There are four major issues with the mod that would make a massive improvement to how enjoyable it is to play on if resolved.

First issue is I keep getting called a hacker and nobody has reported me. This means a majority of players that hop on there either don't know how to report or wish not to. This is concerning as anyone who suspects cheating should report it. I don't know how to solve this problem though, but it is worth mentioning.

Second issue is the unlag. Essentially it doesn't handle knockback at all. What happens on a higher ping is if you are getting knockback from something like LG, then you can have your crosshair dead center on the target and still get no hits. My guess as for a technical reason is because your position differs on the server and client for that point in time so the roll back for unlag hit detection is disagreeing with what you are seeing because it disagrees with the player position. There are other issues with the unlag that are noticeable on a high ping, but that is really the worst one.

Third issue is stats. So I can hit a bind or type stats into console mid game, and get all my accuracy stats. The way this works is very different from OSP though. It includes the warmup shots in your stats mid game which makes them useless. The worst part though is that it doesn't give you stats at the end of the game, which is the most important time to have them. I can't even manually hit a bind and see my stats or my opponents stats at the end of a game as all stats binds stop functioning at the end of game scoreboard. It would be ideal if it would just automatically kick out both players stats at the end of the game, but just allowing the stats command to work at the end of the game and culling the warmup data would go a long ways.

Fourth issue is entities at the beginning of a game. They don't reset from warmup. If you take a weapon during warmup and the game starts, it is still on the respawn timer. This is even worse on pro- maps with 15s weapon respawns. The other part of the entities that don't reset is dropped weapons. If you kill somebody and they drop a weapon in warmup, it doesn't disappear when the game starts. I believe armors do reset, but it might be worth testing based on how the weapons behave. This is the most game breaking bug on here, and I can't say its cost me games but it has screwed up the first bit of quite a few games.

Idk if the admin would even care about feedback that would require dev on the proprietary mod, but figured i'd throw it out there because the issues do end up making the server sit much lower on my preferred servers list. I'll still play on it, and its cool that another unlag duel server exists, but it is very low on the list.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Duel Server Mod Issues

Post by adminless »

1) that's expected when you fight randoms and casuals at a public server just looking to have a good time like if you were fighting for a event worth changing your life instead. that's just the way it's and they are probably as annoying to you as you're to them.

2) yes the movement is not delaged (only the shots) yet I'm not entirely convinced that's the problem there. if I'm not wrong I think that despite you hate osp servers with a passion (which I agree) you still nevertheless play with the osp client which is twice as worse than the server itself alone. it would be good to know (not saying it's the case but worth giving a try/knowing) if you experience the same issues when paying with some of the provided clients and/or if it's some better or worse. in any case, the bottom line is that although the unlagged thing improve the game at the end of the day the high ping it's gonna show up and impact the game in some ways as well as to introduce inconsistencies and other problems in the game for both the high pinger and the lower pinger opponent which is the reason why people stay away from it at that kind of expectations as I told you several times already.

3) I guess I can probably easily fix/add that as well as other things that were left undone with that server at some point, that's just not a priority right now. anyways, those are just mostly that, details.

4) I can probably check that out as well at some point.
RH
User lv4
User lv4

Post by RH »

adminless wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:20 1) that's expected when you fight randoms and casuals at a public server just looking to have a good time like if you were fighting for a event worth changing your life instead. that's just the way it's and they are probably as annoying to you as you're to them.

2) yes the movement is not delaged (only the shots) yet I'm not entirely convinced that's the problem there. if I'm not wrong I think that despite you hate osp servers with a passion (which I agree) you still nevertheless play with the osp client which is twice as worse than the server itself alone. it would be good to know (not saying it's the case but worth giving a try/knowing) if you experience the same issues when paying with some of the provided clients and/or if it's some better or worse. in any case, the bottom line is that although the unlagged thing improve the game at the end of the day the high ping it's gonna show up and impact the game in some ways as well as to introduce inconsistencies and other problems in the game for both the high pinger and the lower pinger opponent which is the reason why people stay away from it at that kind of expectations as I told you several times already.

3) I guess I can probably easily fix/add that as well as other things that were left undone with that server at some point, that's just not a priority right now. anyways, those are just mostly that, details.

4) I can probably check that out as well at some point.
Fourth issue is actually game breaking, if priority isn't clear on that. If only one thing gets fixed, that should be it.

And second issue, I play with the OSP client on all servers that are baseq3/osp. I don't experience the same level of issues with delag on other servers with similar ping. Examples being aftershock and ratmod in OA (both open source and could be used as basis for netcode improvements), as well as q3msk and warserver (proprietary). I can't say I hate OSP servers, its just that they very heavily favor low ping and that doesn't make for good competition. I only point this out as improvements here would also likely help improve the feel of your other servers as well. Its not so much the movement that is the issue, since client movement prediction is vanilla, but more the knockback interfering with the delag rollback meaning you can't hit anything while being shot even if its just with good MG. Fully aware 150 ping will always be a big handicap and you can't remove latency, but since this seems like an obvious technical problem that is solvable, it might be worth investigation if you further develop the netcode. I understand that this is the most technical fix and may not see any solution anytime soon.

Third issue i've seen multiple people unhappy with. So optics of the mod and server for people who might drop in to play is not great if you wanted it to catch on. End game stats are pretty important to some people, and I could see avoidance of the server just for this.

The first issue is not so much annoying. I think its funny if people call hax. Its more just that people dropping in don't ever report, which means actual hax might get away with it for longer and that kind of sucks. Idk if they aren't aware of the forum or what, but as I said idk how to solve this problem. Maybe just the server message on connect providing info or something? This is the most minor of minor issues, but it is something I've noticed and is worth mentioning as community cooperation to remove bad actors is important to make sure that servers have a level of integrity and people will trust playing there. If people don't feel like their games have integrity, they would avoid the server in favor of others they do trust.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok may be I can patch/review that (the stats and other minors things and the game start) in the next weeks if I don't get dragged with anything else around here.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

well those "weeks" ended up being more these months since unfortunately as you could saw I got really dragged with pretty much everything else here (the UnFreeZe league, other events, technical issues/maintenance etc etc etc etc) and clearly slow down any of those things because of a pretty much spare server wasn't a option. ok hopefully I think I finally patched those things now so I hope that the server is at last playable now then please give it a try and let me know if you still have some other issues with it. the first, I think you finally got reported and even by a proper top tier player so congrats on that, good job, I don't think there's nothing else to comment about that. as for the unlag thing as I told you, that's just the way it (the unlagged) is, I'm aware of all those other (open source) implementations/improvements, just not really interested on that for a number of reasons (different behavior, more bugs, higher complexity etc while the current unlag is just good enough for the regular enough use, not worth it). the third as I told you that wasn't even complete I simply had set that server per request in the middle of the previous tournament and I had never finished those things. I think that now I just did (for the most part) so now the server should throw those stats at the end of the game as well as a bonus at the end of the warmup when they reset and also as bonus I created a public stats page for it at duel.fpsclasico.eu as test for the tournament stats track (yes, mostly buggy/incomplete for broken/incomplete public games). I also fixed as well now the fourth, as far as I remember I believe that you had already reported that and apparently I had fixed it, turned out there was an additional bug affecting just the rl/pg spawns. that should be fixed and hopefully there should be no further item/spawn issues (let me know otherwise). as a bonus I also implemented now the usual overtime logic of the tournaments so games should be 10 minutes plus two two minutes over-times followed by one extra one minute over-time and then sudden death. timeouts are yet missing though, the rest I guess it should be more or less complete now.
RH
User lv4
User lv4

Post by RH »

Noticed at least the stats change. Thought it was a very nice addition. Definitely a welcome change.