An Idea for spacemaps

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
UniX
User lv3
User lv3

An Idea for spacemaps

Post by UniX »

Everyone just LOVES the spacemaps but it really sucks to be shot off map 2 seconds after spawn and have to wait the whole round frozen in space.
Since Adminless is not keen on the idea of insta respawn as it was in the original mod then I have an idea:
How about everyone spawns with a personal teleporter to use if you get shot off map?
Also Id love to see the rockets and nades removed for those maps.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: An Idea for spacemaps

Post by adminless »

that sounds like random stuff/game to me and basically a mess. to spawn rape or to be spawn raped has always been the way space maps are played (most notabely q3dm17) so there's really nothing wrong about that, that's the way those maps are meant to be played. obviously that works in ffa where you die and you just spawn again the next second or in limited rail only based mods that doesn't really do anything else. it doesn't translate that good to a all weapons arena based mod like UnFreeZe but for a wide variety of reasons beside just the spawn raping mechanic and as I'm telling you there's no much you can really do about that other than skip those maps (as it was the case) or not.
RH
User lv4
User lv4

Post by RH »

Increasing thaw time would probably be a functional solution. Have the auto thaw timer shorter if you pass through a death plain or something. Like 10 seconds is still longer than being thawed, but wouldn't have you stuck there for 30+ getting bored. Makes enemies have to be more careful about where they kill you too.

I think space maps should just go away entirely though. It isn't that they are space maps, its just that most of them are objectively bad. DM19 and t6 clear the server so much on FFA.
Last edited by RH on Fri Nov 17, 2023 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
UniX
User lv3
User lv3

Post by UniX »

Well original mod was like this; if you died in space/lava/toxic slime you got -1 and respawn.
If you got shot into space/lava/toxic slime you'd thaw up in 3 sec (normal thawing time) and respawn.
A tactic was to shoot teammates corpsicles into lava etc so that you didn't have to stand and thaw and run the risk of being wtfpwnd by corpse campers.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

yeah and that was pretty much absolute garbage as I think that I already explained more than enough and as even proven for a fact at the events.
UniX
User lv3
User lv3

Post by UniX »

adminless wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 17:43 yeah and that was pretty much absolute garbage as I think that I already explained more than enough and as even proven for a fact at the events.
I beg to differ. I played Doolittle's mod extensively for 3+ years along with a lot of other players and it made for fun game play with a lot less spam and more strategic thinking than your version does.
oKo*CTHULHU
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: cTh

Post by oKo*CTHULHU »

on FFA such maps work much better than in Ftag mode. I also like these maps but I don't think anything other than q3dm18 and other maps of this type will work well. q3dm16 is played every day on the server and it seems to me that if you replaced 16 with 18, the result would be very similar, i.e. eternal falling down and pushing bodies. however, each of the space maps works the same on the FFa server, which is quite ok even with -1 statistics without automatic teleportation when you fall into the abyss. besides, falling into the abyss is a normal thing, at least for us, so you can, for example, add or replace a map, but changing the mechanics of dying in the abyss is pointless. try not to fall down and you will be fine :D

EDIT. although there has been a lot of improvement lately when it comes to pushing down frozen bodies. practically no one does it anymore, but I don't know if it's due to the culture of the game or maybe a frequent blockade on the edge of the map (curbs on the edges of q3dm16)
Camaradas Iks De
RH
User lv4
User lv4

Post by RH »

RH wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 16:03 Increasing thaw time would probably be a functional solution. Have the auto thaw timer shorter if you pass through a death plain or something. Like 10 seconds is still longer than being thawed, but wouldn't have you stuck there for 30+ getting bored. Makes enemies have to be more careful about where they kill you too.

I think space maps should just go away entirely though. It isn't that they are space maps, its just that most of them are objectively bad. DM18 and t6 cleaqr the server so much on FFA.
Sorry misspoke, dm19 and t6 are the terrible ones with no redeeming qualities that clear out the ffa server. dm16, dm17, and dm18 are playable but still not great maps.

Maybe the freezetag solution is to teleport corpses to spawn points when they void death. Just to give teammates the opportunity to thaw them if you don't want them to auto thaw. Either way, it is bad gameplay to just be totally out of options if you pit and have to wait for the next round.
oKo*CTHULHU
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: cTh

Post by oKo*CTHULHU »

For me, the specificity of these maps is simple, they are best for quick FFA games, nothing more. you can make modifications such as teleport when dying in limbo, etc. but it will still be the same. I would love to play them even in Ftag mode, but the culture of the game is such that every thaw will be pushed into the abyss, which automatically disqualifies an even game.
Camaradas Iks De
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: imprecise

Post by imprecise »

Hello everyone

about q3dm16, after reading your suggestions and comments, and seeing that Adminless rejected the option to start the game with a teleport item in case you are thrown into the void from spawn, there remains one A solution that would seem more effective to me is to ensure that all spawns are done at the lower level of the map and that all spawn points at surface level are deactivated.
This will certainly result in camping at the spawn points at the lower level of the map but I think it is a lesser evil compared to being kicked off the map from the spawn and having to wait for the next turn to play
"My ability to concentrate is so short that ... Oh a butterfly !"
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

adminless wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 17:43 yeah and that was pretty much absolute garbage as I think that I already explained more than enough and as even proven for a fact at the events.
I assume you can't code for the space map specifically? Why not alternate the teams one below one above as we only really talking about one map right?
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

oKo*CTHULHU wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 18:01 on FFA such maps work much better than in Ftag mode. I also like these maps but I don't think anything other than q3dm18 and other maps of this type will work well. q3dm16 is played every day on the server and it seems to me that if you replaced 16 with 18, the result would be very similar, i.e. eternal falling down and pushing bodies. however, each of the space maps works the same on the FFa server, which is quite ok even with -1 statistics without automatic teleportation when you fall into the abyss. besides, falling into the abyss is a normal thing, at least for us, so you can, for example, add or replace a map, but changing the mechanics of dying in the abyss is pointless. try not to fall down and you will be fine :D

EDIT. although there has been a lot of improvement lately when it comes to pushing down frozen bodies. practically no one does it anymore, but I don't know if it's due to the culture of the game or maybe a frequent blockade on the edge of the map (curbs on the edges of q3dm16)
The tactical move of throwing the frozen body only works if you chuck over the best player in opposition, same as hiding the body allowing team get advantage