[download required to play] custom map overkill added to the standard rotation on UnFreeZe1

UnFreeZe Game Servers News forum.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

[download required to play] custom map overkill added to the standard rotation on UnFreeZe1

Post by adminless »

hey hello guys

well I'm back here with another update consolidating the 2018 server revision this time after some weeks of releasing the unfreeze-client-full-prerelease.zip package containing the custom maps usually running in UnFreeZe2 and after several people claimed for new maps added to the rotation (see) and seeing the current overcrowding of the server I feel like it would be unfair to completely neglect these requests thus I finally decided to put at least one custom map in the standard rotation running daily on the evenings in order to finally set this (or at least for this year) and I dropped some overkill in the rotation at low priority (load expectation 2/3 times per day).

SO THIS HERE IS A CRITICAL NOTICE!!! this will mean that from now on-wards you're gonna need to have installed at least this file, overkill.zip, in order to be able to play here at all times (i.e. the times that map loads). to install that map you need first to extract the archive you've just downloaded (i.e. unzip it, typically simply right click over it and select extract) and place the overkill.pk3 file inside it on your baseq3 folder at the path where you installed your Quake III Arena (if don't know just search for that folder or the pak0.pk3 file and then place the overkill.pk3 file next to it inside the baseq3 folder).

let's remark once again, that's only required if you're not using the provided and recommended unfreeze installment, the provided unfreeze-client-full-prerelease.zip file already comes with that map (as well as others) pre-installed so you won't need to download nothing more (well or at least for "now", short term).

so that's it I'm not claiming this to be a definitive addition, I'll drop it and then we'll see how it does, if it's a killer or just simply doesn't work, it will obviously be removed, but so far that's it I believe that the fair thing is at least to give it a try. overall I feel like it should do it, at least to some degree, I believe that the server has been mainly overcrowded and growing in players and veterans so I think that this may finally have a chance and in addition I also think that should even (well or better said give a chance hehe) the load between the two servers a bit while I don't make a better use of UnFreeZe2 :P

see you for now, have fun
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: [download required to play] custom map overkill added to the standard rotation on UnFreeZe1

Post by adminless »

lol btw forgot to report it here but this idea unfortunately soon (just after a day) has been dropped since "it wasn't really working" nor it seems like it was going anywhere (follow thread for more about this) thus finally this confirms custom maps out of the window once again for real.