secondary server is down

UnFreeZe Game Servers News forum.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

secondary server is down

Post by adminless »

it appears that due a system update issue the secondary server is down since this morning (i.e. that it failed to start), I'm currently working with the data centre techs to get it back online again though in a weekend that might take some time. in any case, thanks to the dual setup at least the primary server is completely unaffected so it shouldn't be such a critical deal and in case a recovery doesn't succeed then I guess I'll just migrate that again in the coming days. unfortunately this impact however all the stats as they reside there. sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Re: secondary server is down

Post by PacMan »

adminless wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:55 it appears that due a system update issue the secondary server is down since this morning (i.e. that it failed to start), I'm currently working with the data centre techs to get it back online again though in a weekend that might take some time. in any case, thanks to the dual setup at least the primary server is completely unaffected so it shouldn't be such a critical deal and in case a recovery doesn't succeed then I guess I'll just migrate that again in the coming days. unfortunately this impact however all the stats as they reside there. sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Don't servers do backups so an old stat will still be available? Just a knowledge question
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

just like that, some do and some don't. generally speaking that's a option that gets billed separatelly so it's not part of the standard package which that last is what I always get. that said, I keep backups across the different servers and more extensively in a local physical usb disk so it wouldn't be the end of the world anyways not to mention the dual (triple if you account for the web) server setup this time that was specifically designed to account for this as can be seen for good measures then it's not like the previous time that it went all down. from what I see the rest of the services are working just fine and I hope the server gets back online soon.

speaking of which this afternoon I finally just completed all the proper contacts and it looks like it's already being checked for repairs, once I know more I'll let you know as usual. as for the backups, the thing with any backup policy is that is never (realistically) possible to keep everything backed up at all times as you can understand so with any backup recovery there's a chance to miss something hence why it's always important to recover the server first whatever possible.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5

Post by PacMan »

Ok I get you, so it's more of not up-to-date stats can be shown , maybe stats can have some date somewhere unless I missed it lol
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

no, no currently none can be shown as the web server and service that served those resided on the secondary server that is down now. once it gets back online, that I hope it will do from what I talked with the provider so far, all the stats will be shown. only problem would be if the server never comes back online again or if the disks get wiped during recovery that then I would have to restore from the local backup which is like some months old already. I guess that we will known that in the next days. as said, unfortunately we're at weekend and I know from experience that many departments are closed and/or only available with limited operations so it might be possible that it takes some time to get sorted. in any case, I repeat the rest of the services, notably the "main"/primary server along with the forum for contact are 100% functional.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

server recovered now, apparently all good and no data has been lost so sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience. considering it broke in a weekend, where support is more limited, and it got back up on the same day that's a realistically good job from the provider.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5

Post by PacMan »

Well atleast it wasn't like the last major failure , that must have been some pressure

Especially with us unfriz addicted noobs waiting for a shot unfriz. 💉

Good job
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

hehe yes it always gets hot, that's the way it's, specially when working remotely like this but I think that it got sorted promptly this time so hopefully it won't break again in few days, we'll see. in any case, I'm just chugging that local physical backup copy asap as we speak just to be safe and whatever the case is as I said this time the setup, with various servers, account for this kind of failures as you can see.